How to fix glove swimming??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
My DD cannot seem to get rid of the glove swimming problem. Does anyone have any drills to help remedy this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Dec 7, 2011
Be careful thinking this is bad across the board and that this needs to be the #1 enemy of a good pitch.

My. 02

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I don't think that fixing the swim is the issue. I recall Alan Snedeker explaining that she needed to use her glove hand to drive harder to the catcher during the initial drive. I like to think/feel the backs of both hands driving hard (with the stride knee) towards the catcher. Once that feeling and action start to happen, then I don't think a little glove swim matters. Swim is a symptom in my mind.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Be careful thinking this is bad across the board and that this needs to be the #1 enemy of a good pitch.

My. 02
I agree to some extent. I know I read about leaking power by swimming the glove arm out....but what I see as an even bigger problem is pulling the front shoulder with it, often resulting in "pulling" pitches to the glove side of the plate.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I run a string right next to them, using fiberglass rods driven into the dirt. The glove swims out and they get tangled in the string.

Dec 20, 2012
Wall drills with the wall on the glove hand side. Stand 6-8 inches away from wall, start at a slower pace and work up to full speed. I agree that swimming will pull the shoulder, the hips will follow, and then you are throwing around the hip.

Jul 14, 2008
Take this for what you pay for it.......But I couldn't give 2 hoots about "glove swiming" UNLESS you can prove a problem exists because of it, and is DIRECTLY related to it........

If I didn't know better I'd say these pitchers took swimming lessons! How did they ever get by?

1z1b7nb.gif
15yhd8h.gif

2en7uie.gif
2zsmn2c.gif

Sometimes I think PC's AND especially DAD's read about or hear someone talk about stuff like this and it gives them something to "coach"............

Jun 24, 2011
menomonee falls, wi
We try to focus more on keeping the shoulder's square to the target before pushoff,
and keeping the glove close to eye level and pointing towards the catcher during
pushoff. Focusing on those two things seems to help with accuracy, even if they
do swim somewhat after pointing at the catcher.

Seems to me 75-80% of the Model Pitcher's swim to some degree, so if she doesn't
have control or balance problems, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just my .02

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1