How ti fix forward lean at release?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Have her pitch downhill or from a baseball mound. This will force her to get weight back or she will faceplant. :) Doing this will help her feel what it is like to shift her weight back. Once she experiences what it is like throwing with her weight back, further correction will be much easier.

I read this and did a "Huh?" Only because it makes sense, and it was suggested that my dd do this to fix her excessive rearward lean at release. She worked on it last week at the baseball field. Now I'm wondering if it was counterproductive, or if we should not be doing this to try to fix her issue if it's used to fix the exact opposite issue? Or would it work for both? What do you guys think?

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Since there's no video we'll need to clarify something, is she leaning forward or bending at the waist while leaning forward as she releases the ball.? These are two dramatically different problems. A video would be best.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
disclaimer I'm just a mom no expert, this could be totally wrong advice it just what I think might help.
Have her do BMs drills the 9:00, Liberty 12:00 Etc.... See if she's leaning forward or having lots of other movements with those drills if she is, get her to stabilize in those drills first (see Javas videos on I/R). Then move on to full motion, but not full speed, into a tarp making sure she's not leaning forward at release, then slowly speed it up. Take lots of video to show her, what she's doing, then show her what it should look like.

It's very hard to fix things full motion, with her being fairly new pitcher I would take advantage of that by slowing down and showing her lots of video of what she supposed to be doing then let her try to figure out how to do it, using video for feedback.

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
We work on hinging at the waist towards the catcher for a better drop ball axis. Rick Pauley has a good video explaining this concept. A lot of girls starting out bend forward at the waist while pitching (researching this problem led me to DFP). This is indicative of someone pushing or bowling the ball. Ideally, when first starting out, they need to learn to throw with the ball/palm facing skyward on the downswing and belly button facing third (for RHer). Once they're comfortable throwing like this the bending at the waist towards the catcher usually disappears because it doesn't work. Try it, it's impossible. How can you? Your facing somewhere between third and halfway to home. A few girls start bending at the waist towards third base in order to clear their hips with the arm/ball. Again, they have to learn to waggle their hips and shoulders just a bit right before release in order to clear the hip. In a true abduction you'd throw the ball right into your thigh. The trick is to pull down hard (abduct both arms) as your plant foot sets and then, just ahead of release, move the hips (and shoulder) to approximately 45 degrees. Then whip/rotate the release.

Dec 15, 2015
[video]https://youtu.be/2QyraACInSY[/video]

This is all I have now. I will update with better video as soon as possible. This is after 6 lessons. Still lots of work to do, but if you have thoughts or ideas...I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Stutz, welcome to the site. Ropes is right on, study the IR sticky and then the drive mechanice, followed by the brush interference . The videos Java has on you tube are excellent . Don't watch them, study them over and over. Her lean to me seems to have more to do with timing between her arm and leg drive. It looks like her arm circle is way ahead of her leg drive. Java's drive mechanics and boardmembers description of overlap will cover that. Post lots of videos and ask lots of question, keep your ego and pride under control and you and your daughter will get some of the best instructions bar none by some of the best pitching instructors in the world, in my opinion . I know I have

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
One of the things I do to help break the forward leaning problem, is from the open position have the them put their front foot on a ball with their feet about shoulder width apart. Tell them to put 90% of their weight on back foot. The front foot is there help keep them stable. Then do drills from 9 and 12 o'clock. If they lean forward they fall off of the ball. This helps get them comfortable and confident with being able to throw the ball while remaining upright. It's best when done a hard surface so the ball rolls easily.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
What are the key points she's been instructed to do in her lessons? FrozenRope and Coach Q have pointed you in the direction of the key points that she should be focusing on. I would follow their advice to the letter.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2015
Well, having spent a great portion of my day yesterday reading replies, reading stickies, and watching suggested video, I can tell you that our PC falls into the HE category. What we have been told to work on is posture at release (says she has too much forward lean...costing her mph) and finish (needs to finish high....elbow in the glove). Geessshhhh!!! We live in a rural area and have to drive nearly 1 1/2 hours for lessons. I will have to do some research to see if anyone is teaching IR and brush interference. Since she is brand new, I do think there is some value to what she is learning, but will be cautious moving forward for now. You guys are some sharp cookies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00