Mom of a pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2023
Hi all,
I’m located in Central Florida. My DD took an interest at 8 to start pitching. She is 9 and main pitcher on her team now. She was taking lessons that introduced HE(did not know much about it then). I noticed she could not force her elbow up when she was told to by the coach over and over. She naturally seemed to start doing IR. I stopped the lessons and did my research after looking for resources and a new coach. Coaches are limited and booked up but I started taking her to one that does IR. I ran into this site and forum. I’m overwhelmed with so much information and glad I caught it on time before she went in deep with HE. I’m trying to help her as much as I can. She clocks between 36-40 currently and we are trying to unlearn prior mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Hi all,
I’m located in Central Florida. My DD took an interest at 8 to start pitching. She is 9 and main pitcher on her team now. She was taking lessons that introduced HE(did not know much about it then). I noticed she could not force her elbow up when she was told to by the coach over and over. She naturally seemed to start doing IR. I stopped the lessons and did my research after looking for resources and a new coach. Coaches are limited and booked up but I started taking her to one that does IR. I ran into this site and forum. I’m overwhelmed with so much information and glad I caught it on time before she went in deep with HE. I’m trying to help her as much as I can. She clocks between 36-40 currently and we are trying to unlearn prior mechanics.

Welcome! I'll bet the HE coach will continue to have openings.

Mar 28, 2023
She was begging me to come back to make it right. I didn’t tell her why I stopped taking my daughter there. I think I am ready though to be transparent and let her know. I did not like her tone , when she kept telling my daughter to “elbow up “. She also couldn’t physically show her how to position herself ..she would just tell her how to move. She was 8 now 9. Hoping I left just in time.

Sep 19, 2018
You can definitely tell her that you where looking for palm up not palm down at 3:00. Simple, that part is true. Good luck it is a great Journey

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Wouldn't hurt to let her know, gentle but firm, what you expect. Then it's up to her to decide if she'll change direction or stay her course. I don't think you should wait for her to learn how to teach it, but maybe down the line she can help other kids.

Nov 29, 2009
Hi all,

THE most important thing to remember. It's a marathon, not a sprint. It takes time and can be the most frustrating and fun thing at the same time.

The old adage: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time, sums up the journey pretty well.

Some days will be great and everything works well and there will be others when you think she's never pitched in her life. It's all part of it. It took me a while to figure it out. Glad I did before I ruined it for for my DD.

May 29, 2015
I'm sorry, I can't bite my tongue any longer ... every time I see the thread title I just want to scream, "Mom of a pitcher!" and throw something to the ground.

I got whacked in the hand by a pitch the other day. I should have yelled it. "Mom of a pitcher! That hurt!"

Best thread title EVER! Thank you @bosdiva11

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478