How often do you strike out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Though Im a great defender of BB, the offensive strategy differs ( just a tad ) between the two. Bunts have steady declined over the last 20 years at the college and MLB levels, although they spiked a smidgen in 12'13'. So offense diversity is a small factor in the " larger " game. Baseball is also a much s-l-o-w-e-r game.

Maybe we could agree productive diversity has it's place in fastpitch?

Maybe. And though I sounded decisive in my original post, I'm just theorizing. I know that conventional wisdom is that you'd like a slapper or two, a couple of fast/stolen-base types, 3-4 sluggers, etc. Just skeptical that works out statistically the way people think. I've seen teams put out ads for a ''speedy outfielder, slapper if possible.'' And I'm thinking, OK, so you'd really turn down a corner outfielder who hits .450 hitter with power over a slapper who hits .350? You feel you just have to have a slapper or super fast girl? I'm sure there's some value in productive diversity, but I do question if these stereotypical lineups are all that necessary.

Mar 5, 2014
Maybe. And though I sounded decisive in my original post, I'm just theorizing. I know that conventional wisdom is that you'd like a slapper or two, a couple of fast/stolen-base types, 3-4 sluggers, etc. Just skeptical that works out statistically the way people think. I've seen teams put out ads for a ''speedy outfielder, slapper if possible.'' And I'm thinking, OK, so you'd really turn down a corner outfielder who hits .450 hitter with power over a slapper who hits .350? You feel you just have to have a slapper or super fast girl? I'm sure there's some value in productive diversity, but I do question if these stereotypical lineups are all that necessary.

Yep, if I could have them, I'd take 9 Miguel Cabreras, Barry Bonds or 9 Crystl Bustos in a batting order.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
My 11 YO DD (12 YO next month) played 12U rec and 12U B TB Fall 2013. She had a stretch of 54 PAs with no SOs.

Fall 2013 12U rec guest player: 15 PAs, 0 SO, .500 BA, .600 OBP

Fall 2013 TB 12U (B): 73 PAs, 4 SO, .365 BA, .444 SLG, .438 OBP

January 2014 TB 14U (A): 12 PA, 3 SO, .300 BA, .200 SLG, .364 OBP

Spring 2014 TB 12U (so far): 5 PA, 0 SO, .750 BA, 1.000 SLG, .800 OBP

So from Fall 2013 to present in 12U and 14U, 7 SO in 104 PA.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face

I'm in no way advocating that an order must have ABC to be effective. What I meant is if you can't find 9 .450 hitters, in this smaller game there are ways of producing the same amount of runs with a variety of options.

I'm not sure I'd put out an ad for a "slapper" just for the sake of having one. What I might do is find a girl with tremendous speed, but she's overlooked due to the fact she can't hit her way out of a paper sack, and train her to slap, bunt, slash.

Another thing I look at beyond the BA, is timely hits. That .450 OF may have half the RBI's and score half the time than the .350 hitter.

Like Jeff said, it would be nice to find 9 bangers, but EVERYBODY is looking too and there are only so many to go around. That's where a coach has to make decisions, If I miss out on the .450 hitter who can get into scoring position with one swing of the bat, can I manufacture the same "run" by picking up the .350 slapper who can GOB and steal her way into scoring position? Also what combo do I need afterwards to drive them home?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd