How often do you strike out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Is this a quote concerning MLB? If so then I would agree. However, if we're talking rec, TB, HS, and college softball, I must disagree. Many more errors occur in SB because it is a much faster game. I would imagine OBP to AVG ratio is noticably higher in SB.

The further up the line you go, the more that softball is like MLB, imo.

In 2013, Tennessee was the best-hitting team in the SEC. Tennessee struck out 84 times in 611 at-bats in SEC games. Keilani Ricketts struck out 131 times in 511 career at-bats at OU. Lauren Chamberlain has struck out 64 in 421.

The fielding PCT in SEC games for all teams was .964. In MLB, it's around .985, which is better, but not so much so that putting the ball in play becomes a leading indicator of a team's offensive success.

I do think that SO is a significant stat, and players who strike out a ton probably have some mechanical issues or pitch-selection issues that could be addressed. So I wouldn't say that put-in-play PCT is meaningless, but I think that it's overrated.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I will agree an out is an out, but one must consider the difference between a productive out vs a non-productive. The purpose of an AB is to get on base, advance a runner, score a runner. ( any combination ) A strike out eliminates production.

I will also agree K's are a small piece of the pie, but an interesting one. Productive rates as a whole cast a much larger picture.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Is this a quote concerning MLB? If so then I would agree. However, if we're talking rec, TB, HS, and college softball, I must disagree. Many more errors occur in SB because it is a much faster game and because of the level of talent. I would imagine OBP to AVG ratio is noticably higher in SB at most levels.

If you are playing rec-ball (baseball or softball), then go ahead with a strategy of putting the ball in play.

At the National level, and at the National & PGF tournaments, I find softball defenses fairly solid.

If you wish to play at a high level, then get beyond the strategy of simply putting the ball in play.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The further up the line you go, the more that softball is like MLB, imo.

In 2013, Tennessee was the best-hitting team in the SEC. Tennessee struck out 84 times in 611 at-bats in SEC games. Keilani Ricketts struck out 131 times in 511 career at-bats at OU. Lauren Chamberlain has struck out 64 in 421.

The fielding PCT in SEC games for all teams was .964. In MLB, it's around .985, which is better, but not so much so that putting the ball in play becomes a leading indicator of a team's offensive success.

I do think that SO is a significant stat, and players who strike out a ton probably have some mechanical issues or pitch-selection issues that could be addressed. So I wouldn't say that put-in-play PCT is meaningless, but I think that it's overrated.

Having a lot more KOs than BBs is a red flag.

Strikeouts are part of the game. IMO a low number of KOs, with relatively low AVG/OBP/SLG stats is more indicative of a put-the-ball-in-play issue.

It is possible to make a kid worse by concentrating on a low strike-out number. A large percentage of parents that have come to me bragging of their kid having a low number of strike outs turned out to have kids with rec-ball skills when I evaluated them.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I will agree an out is an out, but one must consider the difference between a productive out vs a non-productive. The purpose of an AB is to get on base, advance a runner, score a runner. ( any combination ) A strike out eliminates production.

I will also agree K's are a small piece of the pie, but an interesting one. Productive rates as a whole cast a much larger picture.

And a strikeout avoids the potential for a double-play from the punch-and-judy player with a put-the-ball-in-play mentality.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
I posted DDs swing a few weeks ago. She has had fewer than 5 strikeouts in each of the last three seasons (1 at 12U, and 4 in the last two seasons at 14U) playing an exceptionally difficult schedule and covering entire seasons (fall ball, winter scrimmages, full summer seasons, ASA/USA A nationals, etc.). And she led her team in slugging percentage (last year for sure, the other years that stat wasn't kept).

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Having a lot more KOs than BBs is a red flag.

Can't disagree, although I can find some MLB exceptions. My DD has a poor SO/BB ratio. Hits well at the level she plays (top 2 in OPS for the last two travel teams), but strikes out more than you'd expect given her other numbers and almost never walks. My concern is that she needs to keep barrel on plane longer but given three cracks at average pitching she usually averts trouble. But perhaps better pitching would exploit that.

Fwiw, Yasiel Puig had 97 SO, 36 BB, last season but obviously hit a ton. Others who have had seasons like that are Ryan Braun, Kirby Puckett, Juan Gonzelez.

Maybe the best example ever – Andres Galarraga, 1988 – 153 SO, 39 BB, but hit .302 with 79 extra-base hits.

None of that is meant to dispute the red flag. In fact, this is MLB. Would be more meaningful if I had the data on NCAA softball. I just find it interesting since my DD falls into this category of high SO/low BB and I'm worried that I should be worried.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
And a strikeout avoids the potential for a double-play from the punch-and-judy player with a put-the-ball-in-play mentality.

True, but if your batters step into the box with the mentality "it's ok if I strike out", you're not going to have any runners for the potential DP. A good team needs all types of hitters, the contact hitters with low K's to the power hitters who typically K more, the ones who can lay down the bunt, slapper a with speed. Each is a link of the chain.

Oct 19, 2009
IMO the kids at a younger age getting their timing down, making contact and putting the ball in play encourages the player. Small successes lead to larger accomplishments, small successes encourage a kid to work to improve, have fun and to continue playing the sport.

The swing from beginning until the last game is played by an athlete should be a work in progress. As competition improves and as a kid works up the ladder they need to work to stay a head of the curve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd