How often do you strike out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
In Rec. DD doesn’t strike out at all. In school ball when she sees some TB pitchers are strikes out every so often.

Striking out once in 65 ABs against college pitchers is silly. When she gets healthy again they might not let her pitch so she can bat every game.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In Rec. DD doesn’t strike out at all. In school ball when she sees some TB pitchers are strikes out every so often.

Striking out once in 65 ABs against college pitchers is silly. When she gets healthy again they might not let her pitch so she can bat every game.

Ive enjoyed watching her bat this year, it may be her last. She's doing her fast track to RN, and has been accepted into St Jude Children's Research Hospital ( nationally known ) for the experience. Going to leave little time for ball. I hate it on one side, but know she will be successful beyond the chalk lines.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
19 SO, 161 AB last year. Missing one tournament, but that's close.

I'm not sure what to make of SO/AB stats. My DD used to never strike out, and she wasn't that good of a hitter at the time (10U/12U). Hit OK for average, but no power. Now, she strikes out much more (maybe 12 percent of the time vs. 5 percent of the time), but hits better overall because of more power.

At the higher levels, I'm not sure there the correlation between PCT-in-play and effective hitting is as high as one might think. Further, the value of putting the ball in play is less at higher levels because defenses are better.

Edit: I meant she used to strike out 5 percent of the time, not 45 percent. :)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Played 102 games last year. I have no idea how many PA's. Struck out 8 times. Every one was looking. She puts the bat on the ball.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Way, way too much at 10U last year. 39 K's in 147 PA's. On the bright side, she was recruited to TB as a pitcher and did some K damage from the other end. 223 K's in 135 2/3 innings. She's worked really hard since December to bring her plate #'s up to par.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A strike out is simply an out ..... and in some cases it is the preferred out.

Baseball Between The Numbers:
"Studies have shown that a player who strikes out a lot isn't hurting his team by any significant margin versus a player who strikes out far less, assuming their other statistics are the same."

Much more informative are a player's AVG, OBP & SLG stats.

Simply putting the ball in play isn't overly noteworthy.

Dec 19, 2012
A strike out is simply an out ..... and in some cases it is the preferred out.

Baseball Between The Numbers:
"Studies have shown that a player who strikes out a lot isn't hurting his team by any significant margin versus a player who strikes out far less, assuming their other statistics are the same."

Much more informative are a player's AVG, OBP & SLG stats.

Simply putting the ball in play isn't overly noteworthy.

Is this a quote concerning MLB? If so then I would agree. However, if we're talking rec, TB, HS, and college softball, I must disagree. Many more errors occur in SB because it is a much faster game and because of the level of talent. I would imagine OBP to AVG ratio is noticably higher in SB at most levels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd