how much value do college coaches place on the Team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It could certainly help them narrow the field, though. Obviously they're not going to sign a girl they've never seen play in person. But if they've gotten emails from 200 different girls, they're not going to go see them all either (I made up that number - I have no idea how many they actually get). If they could narrow it down by watching a couple of innings online, it could save them time. It doesn't seem to have much of a downside, at least.

To your point of narrowing the field, for both coach and player the recruiting process is one of elimination not selection. Contrary to popular belief this is not like falling in love where things just happen and you get an offer. Coaches have a list, often lengthy, of kids to look at and one by one they either cross them off the list or keep them for further consideration. As a coach you want to narrow the list to the best of the best. As a player you want to be on the list as long as possible.

Nov 18, 2013
It could certainly help them narrow the field, though. Obviously they're not going to sign a girl they've never seen play in person. But if they've gotten emails from 200 different girls, they're not going to go see them all either (I made up that number - I have no idea how many they actually get). If they could narrow it down by watching a couple of innings online, it could save them time. It doesn't seem to have much of a downside, at least.

Some of the live streaming is decent, but I've had several occasions where it's hard to even make out my own DD. I guess it could help a coach get a feel for if a team is worth looking into or if they know who's pitching they can see how she's doing. I agree there's no downside.

Nov 18, 2013
To your point of narrowing the field, for both coach and player the recruiting process is one of elimination not selection. Contrary to popular belief this is not like falling in love where things just happen and you get an offer. Coaches have a list, often lengthy, of kids to look at and one by one they either cross them off the list or keep them for further consideration. As a coach you want to narrow the list to the best of the best. As a player you want to be on the list as long as possible.

That's a great point. It was a real awakening to learn coaches had their pick of dozens of girls and ours was just another number. It really is a process of elimination.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The best analogy I can give with regard to the process is that it is like searching for a job. You are one of many and you need to find a way to separate yourself from the herd. If you have an "in" by knowing someone the decision maker(s) trust, you have a distinct advantage. This could be a TB coach, a former player, current player, or even the parent of a player. They will not get you an offer, but will get you considered.

Also know that there are often "gate keepers" which you must somehow get past. Especially with top programs one coach, typically an AC may handle all of the recruiting. They get to go to all the showcases, get the emails, review the videos etc. and have no life in the summer. But ultimately the HC will make the call. Even though you may impress the AC, for whatever reason the HC may pass. Which is why sometimes things may seem great with a school, there is an appearance of significant interest, looks like you may get an offer, then nothing. Which is why you always have a plan B and work the process up to the day you sign.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
The best analogy I can give with regard to the process is that it is like searching for a job. You are one of many and you need to find a way to separate yourself from the herd. If you have an "in" by knowing someone the decision maker(s) trust, you have a distinct advantage. This could be a TB coach, a former player, current player, or even the parent of a player. They will not get you an offer, but will get you considered.

Also know that there are often "gate keepers" which you must somehow get past. Especially with top programs one coach, typically an AC may handle all of the recruiting. They get to go to all the showcases, get the emails, review the videos etc. and have no life in the summer. But ultimately the HC will make the call. Even though you may impress the AC, for whatever reason the HC may pass. Which is why sometimes things may seem great with a school, there is an appearance of significant interest, looks like you may get an offer, then nothing. Which is why you always have a plan B and work the process up to the day you sign.

Even with everything on your side, you just never know. DD2 had a TB coach who had a great relationship with a mid-major staff. The AC of her TB team was a senior at that university and current captain of the team. She had played for the TB HC when she played TB and he had recommended her to the staff when they weren't even recruiting her. Both the TB HC and that university's current team captain highly recommended DD2 to the staff before their camp which was in the fall of DD's junior year. The 17 recruiting class was not full at that time. The coaching staff hardly talked to DD2 at the camp. She is a slapper and an outfielder and speed is probably one of her best assets. The coaching staff did not even watch the outfielders work out. Players ran the OF portion of the camp, there were no speed or agility stations, and my DD left the camp feeling like she wasted her time. Were they full in the OF? I have no idea. They did not even really say hello to her. She never even got an email from that staff.

Contrast that to her experience at the D1 camp at the school where she committed where the coaching staff were completely involved in all stations. Her TB HC who had no connection to the school sent a glowing recommendation which received an enthusiastic reply. All the coaches at the camp knew her name. The strength coach ran all the speed and agility drills personally with multiple stations. They really wanted to get a good evaluation on speed and agility of all the girls. The HC ran the hitting, infield, and outfield drills herself. DD got the opportunity to showcase what she does best in front of the head coach and her speed and agility were truly tested and documented by the staff expert. No wonder she committed.

To stay in the theme of this thread, DD moved up to the 18U team in the organization about the time she started her junior year and was contacted by the D1 school she ended up committing to. The HC of the 18U had a great relationship with that school and had a former player on the team and two current commits on the 18U team. When we went on the visit where DD was offered, the college HC mentioned the TB HC by name... Does it matter? Probably to some extent, but then your DD still has to be what they are looking for. Two different schools where DDs TB coach had connections and one team pursued her and the other was not interested and didn't even pretend to be.

Feb 15, 2016
The bottom line is that the player has to be what the staff wants. Your TB organization can help you get your foot in the door but the player still has to be what the college staff is looking for. There are teams where every player just looks like a lean athlete and they can all run. There are other teams where all the players look like giants. Obviously there are exceptions for the absolute top recruits but maybe a player just doesn't fit what that coach looks for in a player. Your TB organization can't help you with that. If they are done recruiting infielders and you are an infielder your TB coach can't help you with that either. A good TB coach or organization can help a player find the college where they "fit".

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
.A good TB coach or organization can help a player find the college where they "fit".
True, but don't they all say they do this?
I can see it helping, but it can't really be counted on-Caveat Emptor

Feb 15, 2016
True, but don't they all say they do this?
I can see it helping, but it can't really be counted on-Caveat Emptor

Absolutely on the caveat emptor! Coaches with connections can be unscrupulous and just try to get your DD into a school regardless of fit just so they can tout all the former players they have playing in college. Coaches can manipulate parents and players into thinking a player isn't good enough for a school because they have connections with another school and like to maintain a pipeline there. As many have said, parents and the DD are ultimately responsible for recruiting. Knowing the good coach from the salesman is tough to determine. If any coach tells you that they or their program are the key to getting your DD into college, run away. I could hold tryouts, make a team, and guarantee every parent that I could get their daughter an offer to play in college. I could back up that guarantee. Is she playing at the right level at a school that is a fit for her? Am I getting your DD any scholarship money if your family needs that? Does the school meet her academic goals? Does she get along with the coaches and fit in with their coaching style?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014

How do you know you've been crossed off the list? I don't think they're going to tell you, are they? That's one of my concerns. DD has her #1 choice right now. She's going to all of their camps, has a decent relationship with 1 AC and things look pretty good. What we are hearing makes it sound like a good possibility. So, what happens if/when they are no longer interested? Will they say something? Just start ignoring her and we're supposed to infer how they feel based on their actions? I want to know because I'd rather spend that $150 camp cost some where else if there's no chance of her going there. Know what I mean?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
How do you know you've been crossed off the list? I don't think they're going to tell you, are they? That's one of my concerns. DD has her #1 choice right now. She's going to all of their camps, has a decent relationship with 1 AC and things look pretty good. What we are hearing makes it sound like a good possibility. So, what happens if/when they are no longer interested? Will they say something? Just start ignoring her and we're supposed to infer how they feel based on their actions? I want to know because I'd rather spend that $150 camp cost some where else if there's no chance of her going there. Know what I mean?

Typically they are not going to come right out and say that they are no longer interested. If you have a relationship with the AC there is nothing wrong with having your DD ask a direct question. In the mean time keep ALL of the options open. Keep in mind that the list is very dynamic. As players commit to other programs or if for some reason they lose interest in a prospect someone further down the list may move to the top and they become very interested. One of the greatest pieces of advice in the business world translates quite well into the recruiting process - "Do not fall in love with the deal!"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06