How much is too much softball in one day?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
I should mention, they got to the championship. My guess is that the success of the team reinforces the warmup routine. Great athletes on the team, great reputation as a travel club.

Amy, I agree with you but now do I really start the season as a complaining parent? I have voiced my opinion in the past to a different coach who was very defensive and reduced DD playing time.

I should have taught DD golf. :)

Aug 21, 2008
Amy, players stay in the program as it is a successful club program with D1 D2 placements. My daughter got the only open spot on the team.

I agree with everything you have said. Not sure what to do.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Common sense tells me this is too much. No athlete on the planet would spend that much time in a weekend. I can't imagine what conditioning is like before the season.
An hr before game is sufficient warm up to get everything going. No sense in having a practice the day of tournament. The point of warm ups is to get blood flowing and muscles loose. Also to get focused. I would think this much would lead to exhaustion by the end of the day let alone weekend. I know a coach who won't even let girls swim until tourney is over to keep girls from being worn out.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
During the summer tournaments, I would have my team show up 1:15 before first game. That warm up would include full stretching, throwing, light running and batting practice. If we had a 1 game break, we would start warming back up about a half hour before our game. If there was a long break, I would pull them back about 45 minutes before. Again for stretching and light running. We tried to get some swings in before every game. Your players should know what they need to do to get warm.

Feb 3, 2011
During the summer tournaments, I would have my team show up 1:15 before first game. That warm up would include full stretching, throwing, light running and batting practice. If we had a 1 game break, we would start warming back up about a half hour before our game. If there was a long break, I would pull them back about 45 minutes before. Again for stretching and light running. We tried to get some swings in before every game. Your players should know what they need to do to get warm.
Same here. We're 10u. First game of the day, full 60-75 minute pregame. With less than 2 hours until next game, a 30-minute warm-up, with the longer breaks, we'll want about 45-60 minutes to get back up to speed.

I'm competitive, but the safety and health of my players comes first. I know you feel like you're in a tough spot, but go with your gut. If it means less playing time for DD to the point where you feel she'd be better off in a different system, then talk to her about it. It's her choice, but I wouldn't advise my child to play with chronic pain just so she could remain in a prestigious organization.

Mar 13, 2010
I coach high level here and we don't do that. The national teams don't do that much warm-up!

The warm up before the first game is normal. The same warm-up before the second and third? No. It's a waste of energy and time. Give them half an hour break in between games. WITH jackets on, no matter how hot. (especially pitchers. I've sat with my jacket on in 104 degree heat to keep the arm warm) 30-40 minutes gentle job, stretches, throwing again. Pitchers roll their arms.

Any more and you're risking injury and heat exhaustion.

No sitting is a coach that is an ego-maniac.

Aug 21, 2008
Lozza, great observation using only a message board. :)

Three-four head coaches, three very laid back, other one my daughter called the nazi. I dont think I need to tell you who runs the warmups.

Aug 21, 2008
We don't live in a large metro area so really not much for other options; I know of two other possibilities but all have lineups full from fall tryouts. Made first installment of fees which we can forfeit. Reality is if we drop she probably wont be playing travel ball this year and only 1 year left besides this season. She would like to have a shot at least at an NAIA college but doubt that will happen otherwise.

My post was to get some feedback to make sure that I wasn't the crazy one in my approach to warmups.

Thanks for feedback.

Is there anyone on the forum that views this warmup approach as reasonable for a top travel club team? Would like to hear if we are missing something. My only thought was that DD has played 4 games in a day coming back up through the losers bracket on 2 occasions and time spent on the field in that case might be comparable.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Amy, this is actually a very well respected club organization that has been around a long time. All team members including pitchers and catchers do the full warmup drills and it appears that he runs p/c through first so they can then warm up pitching.

My daughter thought she took more cuts in those warmups over the course of 2 days than she did the entire high school season last year. :)

Flip of it: they are a good organization and have very good results.

Again, I just was a little speechless. We joked the entire evening after the first day: about every 10 minutes I would tell her it was time to go warm up.

My daughter is a very hard worker and loves the game. Physically though I dont know how she will be able to do this.

Not trying to come across as a whiner; just dont want to have her hurt after every tournament.

Unfortunately a typical parental response. They have a big name so they must know what they're doing. Perhaps that will be some comfort in a few years when your DD can't raise her arm above her shoulder and is in constant pain.

I've seen many "big name organizations" and one thing seems pretty consistent with them - they'll use that "college scholarship" carrot to their advantage, will use the girls as cogs in the "organization" machine, and kick the girls to the curb if they dare show any "weakness".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach