How much is too much softball in one day?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Not that she doesn't enjoy playing. A 7-8 hour day of softball with very minimal breaks seems to be a lot; one thing if it is for games like the 9 game weekend previously posted but when the warmups exceed the game time I question the value and the decisions. A first time sore arm from a weekend tournament made me question the approach.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I had a mom text me at 10PM, last night to cancel this morning's 7AM lesson. My 7th grade student had been at MS practice and went right to TB practice, had just gotten home and had to start her homework. All of this in the heat, that was 104 degrees. And add to that, her brothers were stressed over the suicide of a classmate.

There is a tournament this weekend and the forecast says it might cool off to 99.

So, in this instance 4+ hours of practice, the heat, stress at school and no supper, proved to be too much for this 12 YO, that I have coached since she was 8. Some common sense would have been nice.

Oct 25, 2009
Thats too much! 7 a.m. private lesson on a school day? MS practice should reasonably be over by 5 p.m. TB probably didn't start before 6 p.m. I would switch the private lesson to a weekend.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Can't. Tournies all weekend and a dedication to church, too. We haven't made the 7 AM lesson, yet, between rain, sore throat, etc. This wasn't my idea. It was the girl's. She has had this dedication for 4 years. Her mom called me initially and said "I have an 8 YO that stands and throws a softball against the fence for an hour. Can you help her?" The early lesson, wouldn't have been a problem, if she hadn't had back to back practices. I am not sure why AZ. allows them to play ASA and school ball, at the same time. They don't allow it in HS.

Oct 25, 2009
Can't. Tournies all weekend and a dedication to church, too. We haven't made the 7 AM lesson, yet, between rain, sore throat, etc. This wasn't my idea. It was the girl's. She has had this dedication for 4 years. Her mom called me initially and said "I have an 8 YO that stands and throws a softball against the fence for an hour. Can you help her?" The early lesson, wouldn't have been a problem, if she hadn't had back to back practices. I am not sure why AZ. allows them to play ASA and school ball, at the same time. They don't allow it in HS.

Dr. Phil would probably ask "Who's driving her to the TB practice?" Probably not AZ.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC