How much is too much softball in one day?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Ouch.

I posted this situation to assure myself that I was not be an overprotective parent and that I was not alone in my thinking of this excessive warmup routine not being the norm.

I have serious concerns about this type of warmup/game routine for DD (and the other athletes in the organization) over the course of the season and beyond; thus I asked for some neutral feedback. I am confident that if I state my concern to the coaches that she will no longer be on the team. I am willing to do this.

SoCalASABlue, then give me your other options to assist DD in getting into that lower level college arena without the travel softball team. Of course she can walk on and most likely that will be her approach if she leaves this team. Not looking for the almighty scholarship dollar for softball (dont believe that D3 or NAIA offer much if anything for softball scholarships) but she loves playing the game.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Are these warm-ups intense, or more relaxed? From what you said it does sound excessive, but I'm wondering if I missed something. I know around here it is not unusual to have 18-20 players on an 18U team. If they all take 10-15 swings apiece, that could account for 45 min worth of warm-up. Meanwhile, other girls may be standing around shagging balls or socializing while loosening up for the next game. I have seen 18Gold teams warm up like this and didn't really think about it being excessive. It seemed like more of an opportunity for the players to get together, warm-up, get loose, and start focusing on the game comming up, without any outside distractions like boyfriends, family, friends on other teams, or anything else not related to softball.

If the team only has 11-12 players and they are kept busy the entire time, then yes that's crazy. The not sitting down is completely insane, maybe even dangerous. Does this also apply to pitchers and catchers?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
No easy answer, I'm afraid. I'm as zealous about my DD's health as you are. But softball is, after all, still a game at this age. I fully understand wanting the "ride" and coattails that go along with the "big" organizations. It would be great to see DD playing on ESPN at the WCWS...if that's where her talent and drive takes her...but she also knows already that education is why she'll be going to college, not softball...

If your DD is OK with what's going on, all you can do is support her and be there when SHE decides it's too much.

Aug 21, 2008
SoCalASABlue, even your last comment is really a tough thing. Do you let a now 17 year old make that decision if it continues to cause pain? I think I agree with you and honestly I don't believe DD will tell me that she is ok with the situation. I suppose the next tournament will give us some additional insight into the flow of this team. The biggest problem that I see with the larger organizations in our locale is that they swallow up the smaller organizations and leave the smaller groups with arguably the second level or third level talent. As such, competitiveness in games seems to be an issue for the smaller organizations.

FPMark, there were only 10 girls for the tournament on DD team. I did not see one person sit on the bench in any of the 6 games. From a distance I saw 5 stations for hitting (one bunting) and beyond hitting, I watched several "practice" routines including normal throwing, long distance throwing, outfield dropstep running/catching long high thrown balls, shorthop, etc... To me it looked like they were having a mini practice the entire warmup. I believe there were 5 pairs of two doing the stations. 4 coaches all doing a hitting station.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Yeah, I hear you. Only very recently has DD actually admitted she needs rest and ice...all her mom and I have ever told her is that she's the only one that knows what her body is saying and she needs to listen to it...

Jan 31, 2011
The 14U team I coach just played over the weekend. We played 9 games in 2 days. Probably the most we have ever played. Our first warm-up was for 1 hour. Stretch, throw, 2 hitting stations. I like to give our pitchers a good 30-40 min to warm up. Once we're done, we do a little infield/outfield when we get the diamond and we're good to go. I always wonder why some teams have a 90 min warm-up for a 75 min game??? Some coaches look like they are getting a full practice in before each game.

For later games, I like to get the kids together at least 45 min early in the event the previous game is over early (run-rule). Most tourney directors tell you to be ready 30 min before scheduled start to keep the games moving or you could have to forefit. Our warm-up routine is the same, just a little quicker. Once we are done the girls usually sit together and of course, socialize.

The 9 games was tough, but we give them plenty of rest. By the way, we won the tourney by going 9-0 for the weekend!

Oct 25, 2009
Ouch.

I posted this situation to assure myself that I was not be an overprotective parent and that I was not alone in my thinking of this excessive warmup routine not being the norm.

I have serious concerns about this type of warmup/game routine for DD (and the other athletes in the organization) over the course of the season and beyond; thus I asked for some neutral feedback. I am confident that if I state my concern to the coaches that she will no longer be on the team. I am willing to do this.

SoCalASABlue, then give me your other options to assist DD in getting into that lower level college arena without the travel softball team. Of course she can walk on and most likely that will be her approach if she leaves this team. Not looking for the almighty scholarship dollar for softball (dont believe that D3 or NAIA offer much if anything for softball scholarships) but she loves playing the game.

Have her choose her school for the education she will get. That's foremost. Then, make the coach aware of her interest. If they have clinics/camps hosted by the school attend those camps, all of them. Make whatever schools she is interested in aware of her game schedules. The coaches WILL come to see her play; it doesn't matter which team she is with. Try to accommodate the coach, of course.

What I seem to hear about over and over is kids playing tournaments with pot luck chance that the coaches they are interested in will be there; and might pick them if they happen to see them play.

Any player can almost be guaranteed a coach will at the very least see them play if the player let's them know of their sincere interest. That's a feather in the coach's hat if she enrolls a player.

Oct 25, 2009
Warmups consume a lot of time and many of them are excessive. Many warmups are actually mini practices. When you pause and consider what happens after the warmups there's not really good logic for the warmups being so excessive unless you are actually valuing the practice.

After the warmup, the team usually sits around or stands around from the very start; even when the game starts immediately. So they will "cool down" rather quickly; rendering the warmup moot for the most part. There is not much call for endurance in a softball game except for the pitcher and the catcher. Even when playing 5 or 6 games on a very hot day. Been there, seen that. Not including the plate umpire, here.

Now if a player is injured then that player needs to treat that injury with high priority. A minor injury can turn into a major injury if not treated properly. It is essential that she finds out if it's something she can play through without risking further injury. If she can't she mustn't!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
FPMark, there were only 10 girls for the tournament on DD team. I did not see one person sit on the bench in any of the 6 games. From a distance I saw 5 stations for hitting (one bunting) and beyond hitting, I watched several "practice" routines including normal throwing, long distance throwing, outfield dropstep running/catching long high thrown balls, shorthop, etc... To me it looked like they were having a mini practice the entire warmup. I believe there were 5 pairs of two doing the stations. 4 coaches all doing a hitting station

Well, I have to say I see what you mean. That is totally unnessesary. As far as holding a "practice" before every game (which is what this sounds like), I had a highly respected coach tell me one time at a tournament, "If they didn't bring it with 'em, they aint gonna find it here"....Words to live by.

Jul 26, 2010
Guess it depends on the kid. Mine feels that there are not enough hours in the day for softball, not the other way around.

-W

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC