How much actual performance difference in drop 10 vs 11

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2014
I am having the same problem. My 11 year old is also swinging a 31 cf6 sprite. She hit a handful of home runs with it last year(on the smaller fields they stick 10 year olds on). Any way she has grown and is now about 5'4 125. She has been taking hitting lessons and her swing is looking pretty amazing, if I do say so myself, lol. So they'll be playing 12A and with her mean swing and the faster pitching I know the -11 demarini probably isn't the best idea. I know people would say she should be swinging a 32 -10, but if we switch from Demarini I know it might be too much of a weight change for her to feel comfortable. There are not any good places to swing bats that I am aware of, and her team is full of people smaller than her with 31 inch bats, lol. stupid bat buying wastes all my days

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you have some time and access to a pocket radar ball coach, put your DD in a batting cage with multiple bats and measure the ball exit speed using the 31/20 and a 31/21. If the swing speed is the same, the 31/21 should have a higher exit speed. There are also more bat choices in a -10. Going to a 31/21 is also the next logical step unless she tries to jump straight to a 32/22.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Quick answer...if that's the right weight/size bat for her, she will not see anymore performance going to a drop 10. Performance
wise, the sprite is no less lively than a drop 10.

If she has outgrown the sprite she is using and it has become too light for her, then obviously going to a bat that is more fitting
for her she will gain performance because she is going to be using a bat that fits her better.

I am hoping the coach means that he thinks the bat is getting light for her and that going an ounce up would help performance
and fit her better.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
DD is currently swinging a 32/23 -9 Xeno. She is 5'2 1/2" and weighs 160 lbs. She swings it really well. I usually work her into the next size bats for a season during tee work, soft toss and wiffles so by the time that bat sees a game she has swung it a few hundred times.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2015
My DD is 5'7" and 135 lbs she hits a Xeno 32/11 because it feels comfortable and she hits the crap out of the ball with it. She has tried others and doesn't hit nearly as well. I understand the advantages of a heavier bat, but there is also a great deal to be said about having confidence with the equipment.

Aug 20, 2013
Interesting topic. My DD is 12yo 5'6"+ & 145. She's been swinging a 32/22 regularly with plenty of HR power. I just picked up a cf6 sprite im 33/22 a last week just to mess around with. So far, ignorant seen any game time, but she's hit the ball about 20' farther with it compared to her "hot" 2legit. This comparison was doing soft toss on an actual field. Im interested to see thw difference in a live game situation. So far, it seems the extra inch without the extra weight may actually make a difference.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
My DD 3 was able to hit some home runs (all in the park, one had no fence so it was starting to roll down the hill) with a friend's Demorini CF6 -10. (I think 32/22). Her arms are not as strong as she would like, though. She seems to have gotten her mother's Chinese arms, pretty much sticks with no meat on them. She just got a CF8 32/21, and likes it a lot better, and even had me ask if they made a -12 (they don't).

Of course the question comes up, why was someone with such skinny arms able to lead her rec league in HRs, and also throw a mean fastball. She has strong legs, and has learned to use her legs in her hitting and pitching, not to mention base running.

Aug 16, 2015
I am hoping the coach means that he thinks the bat is getting light for her and that going an ounce up would help performance
and fit her better.

That's exactly what the coaches are getting at. They both think she is strong enough,with the bat speed,and mechanics to be swinging a -10.

I looked through her teammate's bats the other night. The only girl swinging anything close to her CF6 31/20 is a girl swinging a Xeno 31/20. From what I've read the Xeno 31/20 would be more like a 31/21. My daughter hit some balls in the cage with the Xeno. Did well,made solid contact,hitting balls back up the middle. To me,her swing didn't look any different than when using the -11

Maybe her coaches know what they're talking about...lol

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD is currently swinging a 32/23 -9 Xeno. She is 6'2 1/2" and weighs 160 lbs. She swings it really well. I usually work her into the next size bats for a season during tee work, soft toss and wiffles so by the time that bat sees a game she has swung it a few hundred times.

6'-2-1/2"???!!! Holy crap! That's a tall 11yo!!....

...or is it a typo?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles