How low can you go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
At DD's college game today the other team had a catcher who literally "sat" in position. I've seen some squat pretty low, but never sit on their rear. She had good pop ups and a good gun. Opinions?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'd have to agree w/ GD's eloquent verbal assessment. Doesn't look like her butt is actually on the ground but I can't say that I've seen anyone else catch quite that low. She sets location a little early IMO but otherwise it doesn't look like her stance compromises her ability to get the job done well. FWIW, her throwing hand gets exposed when she receives but that's a safety issue. Obviously might not work with a pitcher with poor control and I'm assuming she used a different stance w/ runners on.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I do not know how they do it. Just flexible and strong. My niece does the same thing and it does not seem to keep her from throwing people out and she definitely gets the call on the low strike.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'd have to agree w/ GD's eloquent verbal assessment. Doesn't look like her butt is actually on the ground but I can't say that I've seen anyone else catch quite that low. She sets location a little early IMO but otherwise it doesn't look like her stance compromises her ability to get the job done well. FWIW, her throwing hand gets exposed when she receives but that's a safety issue. Obviously might not work with a pitcher with poor control and I'm assuming she used a different stance w/ runners on.

GM, I should have taken more video but as usual I was making my rounds. She used the same stance with runners on. It's hard to tell in the video but her butt was grounded, dirt stains on her pants.

As you know I'm no catching expert, she caught for 2 pitchers that game without any passed balls. This school won the national championship 4 years ago. One of their batters holds the NJCAA hit record.......solid team.

I just wanted to share for my catcher friends. Years ago, I'd take her on my travel team in a heartbeat. :)

Feb 20, 2012
pdx
how could see move to a wild or errant pitch or drop to block from that position. I guess the butt on the ground would stop anything going staight through the wickets

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
how could see move to a wild or errant pitch or drop to block from that position. I guess the butt on the ground would stop anything going staight through the wickets

I agree.

I don't see how you could block from that position. Pitchers must not throw many or any drop balls ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32