How long to become a competitive pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2012
Long story short my 14U daughter may have to give up her favorite position as a catcher/first base due to what has been an extended battle with tendon issues on her catching hand. She's played at a high level for a while and since she won't be making $20M a year in the pros, it's best for her to reconsider playing positions to avoid serious and permanent injury.

I figured she would want to try for 3rd or 2nd but she came out with pitcher out of nowhere!

I coach and know enough to be dangerous in regards to pitching. I see the proper and improper motions and how that affects speed and accuracy. I read enough on the forums to be able to properly communicate with pitching coaches, players, and parents. With that said, I fully intend on getting her to the best pitching coach in the area if she's serious.

In your experience what amount of time does it take an "older" kid to become proficient enough at the position to play on at least a solid B level team? She has great athleticism, determination, and will to practice so I'm sure she'll get off to a good start. I just have no clue how long the average kid takes to go from nothing to something at this age.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would estimate 5-6 months of practice to become proficient enough to pitch at a solid 14U B-level, but I have seen pitchers who worked hard (5 days/week @ 45-60min) get ready in 2-3 months. I would also like to point out that some kids could practice every day for years and still not be proficient, so there are no guarantees. I have seen some pitchers with really good mechanics melt in the circle because of the 6" between their ears.

Aug 6, 2013
Not to be a wet blanket - But I would think Starting to be a pitcher at 14U is a daunting task - 14U is typically the point were the less successful pitcher start to find other positions and back away from the circle.
Remind her that being a pitcher will mean less time to work on hitting and fielding. Just have her prepared for the commitment.

That being said - If she is committed and works hard with the RIGHT instruction she still has time to do it.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I would estimate 5-6 months of practice to become proficient enough to pitch at a solid 14U B-level, but I have seen pitchers who worked hard (5 days/week @ 45-60min) get ready in 2-3 months. I would also like to point out that some kids could practice every day for years and still not be proficient, so there are no guarantees. I have seen some pitchers with really good mechanics melt in the circle because of the 6" between their ears.

+ circle time in games. You are not going to know if you are a pitcher until you get out there in the circle regularly in games.

And yes, some players are just not pitchers - just like some girls aren't going to be power hitters, or slappers, or center fielders or SS or.... But if she wants to try it, and the situation is right, why not find out.

Just a note here: The situation has to be right as well. For example, there are 4 local girls in this situation in 14U that I am aware of in the last 18 months:

1) 14U-A player on a ASA-National level team who decided she wanted to be a pitcher. Big, strong girl - great power hitter. Coaches are giving her pitching time consistently in 14U-A because dad is HC. She can sling it really hard. Only took her 3 months to get into the mid-50's which is no surprise since she throws that hard overhand. But she can't hit the strike zone with a map. She can however hit batters. Lots and lots of batters. Team is a mess because it happens every week and the parents of everyone else are mad (they are generally mad anyway - this is not helping). She hasn't hurt anyone seriously yet, but it is only a matter of time.

2) 14U-A who decided she wanted to be a pitcher. Wasn't getting any meaningful circle time, so committed to it by joining one of the better 14U-B teams to get circle time. Is progressing pretty well. Long, athletic girl. Looks like she is going to be a #2 pitcher on this team next season. Very hopeful she sticks with it.

3) 14U-A who wants to pitch but has no aptitude for it. Keeps changing between all the top teams in the area because they all want her bat, and they can basically rent it with the promise of pitching time... which quickly disappears since she walks lots of girls, hits a few and slows down to mid-40's when she wants to throw a strike which every team just waits to get... Every at bat is either a walk, a HPB or a meatball. 14U-A is just not the place to do this. Had gone through EVERY pitching coach in the area and some that are not. Her dad has inquired about her joining our team 4 or 5 times but we have made it clear she wouldn't pitch and that we are frankly the only team being honest about that with her or him. Maybe one day - doubt it though.

4) Strong 1st year 14U-B team. Her team needed a pitcher, she stepped up. Has taken two seasons but she is now very good. Now throwing a change up regularly and hits her locations well. Is ready for 14U-A - and so is her team. Very impressed by the coaching on this team. We used to beat them by 10 with our second pitcher... we haven't lost to them yet, but now they generally get our #1 and it has been getting closer and closer. Last time we beat them 3-1.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
In my experience, you can get ready to pitch in one off-season, but you really need the actual season to truly become a pitcher. That context of what happens during games is critical for it all to make sense. Once they've been through it in that order they can start working toward real pitching, which is mixing speeds, hitting locations at least somewhat consistently and adding movement. I find they also come after a season a lot more eager to listen and learn, because they understand more of the subtleties required of pitchers. The progress between off-season one and off-season two can really be incredible.

Aug 21, 2008
ignition,

there are a lot of unknown variables here. And you have to answer them unbiasedly (or as much as possible). How big is she? height/weight? athletic ability scale 1/10? Work ethic? What are her goals, college?

Personally, I think it's possible. With the right equations to the answers above, the sky could be the limit. And she is right at the age where she gets put on college radar's for the future. If she gets started right, it's VERY possible she'll meet her goals. Colleges look years into the future to see what someone will be like as a pitcher, not as they are NOW. If she's a big strong athletic kid with great work ethic, there is no telling how good she could be. Especially with House of Pitching videos. LOL

Bill

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
When first looking for a pitcher, any pitcher, for a modified school team, I stumbled acroos my 2nd string catcher who just looked good when fooling around with pitching. She became my #1 pitcher, now pitching for my 16U team and working with Java. Dedicated and hard working (99% of the time), I still see at least a year in front of her. I also have another girl who wants to be a pitcher, now taking lessons, throws hard but doesn't really work at it consistently. I don't see much of a future. The point being, if you can see the potential, your time frame will depend on her motivation (and the parents'), who teaches her and how well you can coach that 6" between her ears. My #1 took about 2 months for modified and I'm guessing an off season with Java to be ready for 16U/JV, possibly varsity. I also cannot strees enough the need for a quality catcher.

Nov 29, 2009
If she's a big strong athletic kid with great work ethic, there is no telling how good she could be. Especially with House of Pitching videos. LOL

And, of course, the mandated bi-weekly visit to BH... OTOH.... He's been known to give one lesson and "Fix" a girl. So the bi-weekly visits may not be necessary. ;)

Aug 21, 2008
sorry sparky. I'll let you handle the questions single handedly going forward. I remember reading in the past a comment about my lack of consistency in replies, visiting this site, etc. But, I cannot recall the backstory or what the joke is about "fixing a girl in one lesson".... refresh my memory please. I remember it being humorous, I think.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55