How long to become a competitive pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD "practiced" pitching from 12-13. Never got taken seriously. Coaches loved her @ 3b. Freshman year she made varsity as pitcher but warmed the bench (got some hitting in but not much); sophomore year she became starting pitcher 2nd half of season...earned 1st team pitcher in a 6A district; (still not a pitcher on travel team - played 3B and had spot in 4-6 hole in lineup); junior year (this past year) she got on travel team as top string pitcher and 1B & only pitcher to have spot in lineup; had to fight for pitching spot in Highschool...freshmen gave her run for it...didn't work out well but she is on fire this summer determined to prove a point-that she is good. Anyway moral of story, never too late if you want it - key is you really have to want it and work it. And I do think that the 6" between her ears helped her figure things out on her own with the help from excellent coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I remember now. Funny stuff.

People need to understand that I do suffer from Mad Cow disease and I cannot recall much. I may be the first and only person in human history that has no short or long term memory yet has no dementia or Alzheimer's.

Bill

Bill, that condition can work out well if you use it the right way. For example, who you owe money to. It can also be of benefit for all those times you gave one lesson to a girl and her parents condemn you for ruining her as a pitcher. LOL BTW, I have the same symptoms but believe it has been diagnosed as "Old Timer's Disease."

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Glad to hear you came out on top! Scary stuff...

I used to say that I had CRS, then I got the results from a blood test saying I was dangerously low on B12. Started taking supplements and eating foods high in B12 and my energy, vision and recall came back! I didn't feel tired, stumble over words and remembered stuff like why I went to another room or conversations I'd had the week before. Higher, but not high enough... Now I'm getting injections every two weeks.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Bill, that condition can work out well if you use it the right way. For example, who you owe money to. It can also be of benefit for all those times you gave one lesson to a girl and her parents condemn you for ruining her as a pitcher. LOL BTW, I have the same symptoms but believe it has been diagnosed as "Old Timer's Disease."

I tell people that all the brain cells I killed in college are starting to catch up with me....

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
People need to understand that I do suffer from Mad Cow disease and I cannot recall much. I may be the first and only person in human history that has no short or long term memory yet has no dementia or Alzheimer's.

You have the perfect memory retention for a pitcher...about one nanosecond.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Glad to hear you came out on top! Scary stuff...

I used to say that I had CRS, then I got the results from a blood test saying I was dangerously low on B12. Started taking supplements and eating foods high in B12 and my energy, vision and recall came back! I didn't feel tired, stumble over words and remembered stuff like why I went to another room or conversations I'd had the week before. Higher, but not high enough... Now I'm getting injections every two weeks.

Been through that before. Blah, After about the 2nd shot, I was running laps around the house looking for stuff to work on