how long for pitching accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
The user is from New Zealand. It's not like America over here, where there are hundreds of pitching coaches to choose from. Often it's mum and/or dad, or nothing.

Lozza - I understand your point, but there must be some former players or someone that knows something about pitching in his area that has more experience than this dad? Even if it's only for a couple of sessions or infrequently so that HE can educate himself to work with his DD. My concern is that she is practicing improper mechanics and just reinforcing bad mechanics. Her first year of pitching are the most critical and she should be seeing rapid improvement the first year. If not, than something is wrong. Maybe you even have a couple of contacts since you live in that region of the world?

I really like Hillhouse's beginning pitcher DVD and I appreciate the fact that this father is coming to this site for help. Good start.

Mar 13, 2010
Perhaps, if Ergo is willing, some video could be put up? I don't know how many people there are in New Zealand but pitching coaches, as you would think of them, are not common. In Sydney currently there are two. There is one in my state. I am the main go to person at my association if people ask for help, but most people don't ask.

I get what you're saying, I really do, but I don't think what you're suggesting really exists outside America. Ergo is on here, coming to people who live and breathe pitching and I think the advice he gets here would be a massive help.

For an example of the difference, I once read a stat that there are 25 million girls playing fastpitch in America. My country has a total population of 23 million.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Perhaps, if Ergo is willing, some video could be put up? I don't know how many people there are in New Zealand but pitching coaches, as you would think of them, are not common. In Sydney currently there are two. There is one in my state. I am the main go to person at my association if people ask for help, but most people don't ask.

I get what you're saying, I really do, but I don't think what you're suggesting really exists outside America. Ergo is on here, coming to people who live and breathe pitching and I think the advice he gets here would be a massive help.

For an example of the difference, I once read a stat that there are 25 million girls playing fastpitch in America. My country has a total population of 23 million.

A quick google and youtube search and there seems to be fastpitch (both men's and women's) being played in New Zealand. If I lived in NZ and my DD wanted to pitch I would ask the local and national softball associations (yes they exist) for advice on who could help my daughter learn how to pitch. Ergo said that the season starts in 6 months. Talk to the other players families, ask around if they know someone willing to help. Nothing is better than hands on instruction. Maybe I don't give up as easily as some. And yes, post some video or PM some of the experts on this site for feedback.

Mar 30, 2011
Lozza is correct there is very little help to teach pitchers here, unfortunately softball is a minority sport with limited resources in NZ. There is no support from my local club and although there is a national pitching director she has to cover the whole country so I’d be lucky to see her once a year.

Anyway I’m not concerned about the lack of support here. I have 3 pitching DVDs from different instructors, I have the web, I have a keen 10 year old and I have lots of enthusiasm. We will succeed. And yes I will post a video soon

Aug 21, 2008
Egor

Kia Ora! I played 10 seasons in NZ during our USA winter's. 1 season in CHCH, and 9 in Auckland for various clubs. Where are you located and which club are you with? The bottomline is, I probably know someone in your area that I can put you in touch with. There isn't a market for pitching coaches in NZ like there is in the USA but, I'm sure I can put you in touch with an old teammate or friend who can help. You're right, your national pitching director (Debbie) will be a good resource but getting in touch with her on a frequent basis will be difficult. Is your 10 year old boy or girl? not that it matters, I was just curious.

Bill

Mar 30, 2011
Hi Bill, my 10yr old is a boy who plays U11 in Auckland. Theres also a girl in our team who pitched for us last season and I'm keen to help her improve if I can. I'm comfortable training them on a weekly basis but it would be helpful to have someone to call on to check on our mechanics and progress from time to time.

Mar 30, 2011
Lozza not for a second, it is what it is here. I appreciate your input. I'm not fussed in the slightest theres not much local support. This is my kids hobby and I help him cause I enjoy it.

Mar 13, 2010
I'm in the same boat. We have one pitching coach in the state and she's a state coach, so she's heavily involved in that, but we have no-one for the beginners. I help out, simply because there's no-one else out there to do it! This website is a fantastic tool and I've learnt so much here.

Good luck and most of all enjoy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1