How fast does a first year 10U pitcher throw?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
GVM, For a moment, I thought that you were advocating throwing it down the middle of the plate. I misread what you were saying.
Yes, teach your DD to hit her spots, on the corners and never throw to the middle of the plate. You do not want her catchers setting her up, there, either.

Oct 22, 2009
Most of my 1st year 10u's throw in the mid to upper 30's.

I teach control/mechanics first. I don't mind my students throwing hard if they have reasonable control when they do so. If they are just chunking the ball over the place then I make them settle down a bit and work on basics. I don't believe in throwing hard if you cannot get the ball over the plate. Unless you're the coaches daughter you're not going to get that much pitching time if you cannot throw a strike from time to time.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
GVM, For a moment, I thought that you were advocating throwing it down the middle of the plate. I misread what you were saying.
Yes, teach your DD to hit her spots, on the corners and never throw to the middle of the plate. You do not want her catchers setting her up, there, either.

oh noooo! amy i had that experience a few years ago when the coach was calling everything down the middle. and you and some others actually came to my rescue . but i don't want to revisit that nightmare or hijack this thread. but jojo is right... you don't want to throw a 50 mph fastball that is going over the backstop. you need to find a comfortable speed that you can still keep things a under control.

Apr 11, 2012
oh noooo! amy i had that experience a few years ago when the coach was calling everything down the middle. and you and some others actually came to my rescue . but i don't want to revisit that nightmare or hijack this thread. but jojo is right... you don't want to throw a 50 mph fastball that is going over the backstop. you need to find a comfortable speed that you can still keep things a under control.

So how were you saved from a coach that was calling everything down the middle? My daughter's current TB coach does this and it is driving her crazy (she's 12u).

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
10u, some as slow as 50, others higher.

Just kidding. First year, at 9 don't worry about speed. Even if you go by the idea that speed comes first (which I do) it still doesn't matter how fast she is as long as she is pitching as fast as she can.

Jul 26, 2010
Don't worry about speed until 14u. Development is all over the place until then. You'll get some happy meal raised kids who hit puberty at 9 and towering above their teammates throwing harder then the organic hippy kid, but the focus should be on throwing THEIR hardest and hitting their spots. Around 14 development evens out and everyone catches up to each other in size and strength, and it makes sense to start comparing speed.

-W

May 18, 2009
If this is her first year pitching and she's never done it then Low 30's at the beginning of the year to low 40's by the end. If she pitched last year then 38 to 42.

Nov 29, 2009
Speed is a product of good form. Control comes with practice of good form.

And the congregation replies with an enthusiastic AMEN Brother!!!! AMEN.....

It's rough at first, but when it comes together it's fun to watch.

Dec 22, 2010
My daughter is 10 ('02) and was recently clocked between 41-43. She's fairly accurate with a nice flip change-up. Working on more explosiveness off the rubber and a better arm circle. Hope to cruise at 45 in the spring. She started pitching as an 8 y/o.

Best of luck! It's a fun journey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877