How to overcome a bad performance?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
DD was playing in a championship game .. ball was hit to her in shallow left field and runner was on 3rd and tagged up, DD made the worse throw of her career and threw the ball straight into the ground, they lost the game and she was broken hearted. I went to pick her up from the dug out and passed by a coach who had years of experience and I asked him "what do you do or say to that?". He said "do nothing, say nothing, just listen...." Best advice I ever got.

Kids are much more resilient than their parents.. she will overcome and endure, in the end come out stronger than before. Plus like others said, she is 10 and will likely forget on the ride home, even if it's 5 minutes away :)

May 6, 2015
DD was playing in a championship game .. ball was hit to her in shallow left field and runner was on 3rd and tagged up, DD made the worse throw of her career and threw the ball straight into the ground, they lost the game and she was broken hearted. I went to pick her up from the dug out and passed by a coach who had years of experience and I asked him "what do you do or say to that?". He said "do nothing, say nothing, just listen...." Best advice I ever got.

Kids are much more resilient than their parents.. she will overcome and endure, in the end come out stronger than before. Plus like others said, she is 10 and will likely forget on the ride home, even if it's 5 minutes away :)
As a coach, I always had a mantra, we win or lose together, it is never the result of a single play by any single player (ie what led up to that runner being on 3rd, etc.), even though it may seem that way.

May 12, 2016
As a coach, I always had a mantra, we win or lose together, it is never the result of a single play by any single player (ie what led up to that runner being on 3rd, etc.), even though it may seem that way.
Exactly, when you blow a 6 run lead in 2 innings .. it's not just one play

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
When DD was 12 she looked at me and said "Travel Pitchers, Travel Hitters - sometimes you are going to get them, and sometimes they are going to get you."

DD is 18 now... she gets them WAY more often than they get her, but it is going to happen. There is always going to be a winner and loser.

Ice cream and listening. Still works.

Nov 18, 2015
... and even hit a batter.

Conversation during a recent lesson with my 10U DD, who may as as well have the name "Wild Thing" on the back of her jersey:

PC: "what are your goals?"

DD: [deep in thought] ...

DD: [with confidence] "To hit at least one batter every other game"

[stunned silence]

Me: "You mean to hit no more than one batter every other game?"

DD: "Sure"

Me & PC: 🤦‍♂️

Apr 28, 2014
As a pitchers parent you should know or eventually will know if its a mechanical issue, mental problem or she just ran into a few better teams.
At the end of DDs last summer season I began to notice some glove swim. Started out as minor and as the last few games finished it was bad. She took a few weeks off now she is working on it and her speed is back. She asked me how long it's been that way.. I told her.. she said why didn't you say something then. I shrugged my shoulders knowing she wouldn't have listened back then. Point is you know your kid better than anyone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee