How to overcome a bad performance?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My DD has been pitching for a couple of years, and lately she's really come on and has been performing well. The past couple of games however, she's starting to regress and I'm honestly not sure why. The most recent game, she started throwing wild, couldn't find the strike zone, had a tough time making adjustments, and even hit a batter. When she did hit the strike zone, her balls were getting crushed.

That hasn't happened in a long long time. So this is really the first time in a long time she has had some struggles in the circle. She is 10 years old, and perhaps this is normal, but just caught us all off guard since she's been doing so well the past year or so.

How do you bounce back from games like this? Is this really just a normal part of the sport? Or should I be doing something to break her out of this mini slump?
All true development is two steps forward and one step back. Your dd has had a step back. Now, you find out a few things. If she truly wants to take the next two steps forward, she has to first realize what led to the step back and then push herself to improve. If the step back didn't bother her then she might be done for a while in her development.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hit a batter made me laugh. I think DD lead the league 1 year hitting batters to be fair though she got hit a fair amount too.

Hitting a better is OK.

She is 10. Rest a little bit if it spins out of control or work though it. I am sure her Team needs her but she has a long career in front of her.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
Some great insight already. I’d like to go in a different direction that may solve the real problem.
Why is she all the sudden wild?
Did the competition increase? Did she lose mechanics?
Or , what I’m thinking, she’s going up against better girls and now feels she has something to prove. Ie : over throwing.
She trying to do more than she has or needs to. This trying too hard does a couple things. You throw harder, with less spin and less accuracy. End result. Walking batters and batters teeing off on fast flat pitches.
I’m a spin and spot guy before speed and miss. Meaning. She has to get the ball moving , changing planes with accuracy and enough speed to make them make quick decisions.
Maybe I’m wrong. Lmk where her head is at.
Thanks for listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD has been pitching for a couple of years, and lately she's really come on and has been performing well. The past couple of games however, she's starting to regress and I'm honestly not sure why. The most recent game, she started throwing wild, couldn't find the strike zone, had a tough time making adjustments, and even hit a batter. When she did hit the strike zone, her balls were getting crushed.

That hasn't happened in a long long time. So this is really the first time in a long time she has had some struggles in the circle. She is 10 years old, and perhaps this is normal, but just caught us all off guard since she's been doing so well the past year or so.

How do you bounce back from games like this? Is this really just a normal part of the sport? Or should I be doing something to break her out of this mini slump?
Every growth spurt and every advancement in one area, will often lead to a struggle in the circle. Let her figure it out. Everyone goes through it.

May 4, 2020

Very normal to be inconsistent at that age. I would video her and see if it’s something mechanical. If mechanics are sound my next question would be her training routine.
Is she getting her pitching practice in beteeen games/practices?
Take her out to dinner or an ice cream after an off performance. And for the love of god don’t talk about softball.
Next day talk about what she thinks she is doing wrong/differently. Then offer to help her. If she wants the help from you get out there and have at it.
Lots of positive reinforcement. Let her dictate how much work she wants to put in to improve. She is the Captain of the ship you are the navigator trying to get her where she needs to be.

May 16, 2016
The past couple of games

LOL... a couple of games? There will be bad innings... bad games... bad tournaments... maybe even a bad season... got roll with it and just keep working. Resist urge to panic... it's a marathon. What are your goals? If it was to be inducted into the 10u pitcher's hall of fame... well you may want to re-evaluate your DD's goals... If your goals include pitching for her High School, or Playing college ball... at 10u, you have plenty of time... just keep working.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I see zero to be alarmed about. She hit a batter? Okay...it happens. The #1 P on my DD's team is 15, and has been pitching for about 7 years. Last weekend, she hit two batters in a row. Her next game (the same day), she K'd 7 of the first 9.

The best response from you after a game like that is to take your DD for some ice cream, and talk about anything other than her softball, unless it's to say "I love to watch you play". Tomorrow - or the next day - it's time to get back to work on taking the next step forward.

Nov 4, 2015
DD would give up a bunch of hits and runs in 10u and 1st year 12u and it would bother me. She would ask after the game why did the coach take her out "I was pitching great...I was throwing strikes...They were just hitting it". Some of these girls see and interpret the game differently than we do while they are learning. Same kid at 2nd year 14 a few weeks ago had a 1 hit shutout without a ball leaving the infield through 4 innings. Lost the game when she walked a couple, hit a couple, and an error. She walked off the field telling her team she was sorry. Mom wanted to cry because she didn't want to see DD feeling bad. I told her I was proud of the the way she competed and for taking ownership of the outcome. It's not not the bad inning that matters, it will happen again. It is how she comes back from the bad inning that is important. Then we got ice cream!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28