HOW do you Teach TILT!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I do not like the improvement. Pro hitters do not actively press against the ground to drive their back knee down-and-in. This collection of pictures are at heel plant meaning their hips have already begun to turn forward. The pressure at the back foot comes from "upstairs" as in the hips.

heel plant 2.jpg

Jul 21, 2008
I do not like the improvement. Pro hitters do not actively press against the ground to drive their back knee down-and-in. This collection of pictures are at heel plant meaning their hips have already begun to turn forward. The pressure at the back foot comes from "upstairs" as in the hips.

View attachment 1421

My understanding of the video is that the front foot is the one that does the pushing down against the ground not the back foot. I could be wrong but that is what I got from the video.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Sounded to me like he is advocating pushing with the rear foot/leg just like when you throw. My question would be, when you throw you do not straighten the front leg but instead "push" the core over the front foot, keeping the leg bent. How does this correlate to the swing?

Oct 6, 2011
FPMark--perhaps this will help---let me know.

Near the 3:25 mark I discuss the primary difference between the infielder's-throw and the batter's-throw.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Jim, Wellphyt ... from Kelvin Miyahira

As I shall show later, these powerful movements of the hips not only pertain to golf, it applies to baseball pitching/hitting, tennis serves/groundstrokes, sprinting, and many other sports requiring rotations. The premise here is that the movements originate in the lower spine and pelvis, then to the ground and back up vs. the universally accepted norm of all movements start from the ground up.

What's a Hip Turn? Part 2

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Tom, I know you don’t personally get along with BM, but let’s attempt to describe things a bit and at least get an understanding of what some of the disagreements might be.

CY likes to speak of the rear leg loading when the front foot is lifted … and then speaks of a “sideways” press into the front-side. Specifically, CY is describing the weight-shift taking place into front-side heel-plant … and he is describing that as a “sideways” press.

Now … as described by Ted Williams in TSOH … “You are cocking your hips as you stride” … which basically means one is coiling their rear hip around their rear leg as they stride. Basically … Forward-by-Coiling.

This coiling of the rear hip occurs against a somewhat resistive rear femur. The rear femur may even be seen to slightly rotate clockwise (RH hitter) during this time, which isn’t actually External Rotation if you consider that the hips are the cause of the rear leg being … coiled … twisted … into a mini torsion-like spring. That is, the relationship between the rear hip and rear femur is basically closing … or Internal Rotation is taking place with respect to the rear femur and rear hip.

During the coiling the rear leg ‘twists’, and a rotational pressure build-up (clockwise for a RH hitter) is felt at the rear foot. During the weight-shift into heel-plant the rear leg ‘untwists’ somewhat … and the push from the back foot isn’t quite perfectly linear, but has a semi-rotational element … at least by ‘feel’ the push of the rear foot can be thought to be somewhat clockwise for a RH hitter. This push is not a “spin” … as the push is actually in the opposite direction of what would be needed to support spin … the push is more back towards the catcher, and semi-rotational, albeit short & sweet. The result is that there is some rotation taking place during the weight-shift into heel-plant.

As the rear leg uncoils/untwists from the coiling action that took place during the stride … the rear femur will be seen to rotate counter-clockwise (RH hitter). Should this action be greater than the hip action, then internal rotation is still taking place … or if max’d out, then the femur/hip remain in a state of IR. Should the hip/core attempt to launch off of the untwisting rear femur, and result in an opening of the hip/femur relationship, then that would be External Rotation.

In one article Miyahira describes the action as IR-ER-IR with respect to the hip/femur action that takes place. I believe you believe the hip/femur is Internally Rotated during the coil and remains IR’d throughout the swing.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
In one article Miyahira describes the action as IR-ER-IR with respect to the hip/femur action that takes place. I believe you believe the hip/femur is Internally Rotated during the coil and remains IR’d throughout the swing.

That would be the second of 3 hip articles, the first complex one. Then note his definitions in the third/backswing hip article where he defines ER of the hip as separate from ER of the leg and where he defines coil as the rear hip ER'ing more than the rear leg. That is actually IR in "proper" terminology.

Miyahira:

"RHIR is seen as the pelvis rotating clockwise more than the right leg external rotation. So there is some “coiling” as this occurs."

How To Turn Your Hips Part 3: The Backswing :: Oceanic Time Warner Cable's AroundHawaii.com

And notice all the 'splaining you are doing that is lower body only. You need to include the lower back/scap pull back/knob turn etc to understand how hips are bottom of top, not top of bottom.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Miyahira:

"RHIR is seen as the pelvis rotating clockwise more than the right leg external rotation. So there is some “coiling” as this occurs."

This sounds a lot like the coiling process ... the coiling of the rear hip around a resistive rear femur ... in which the relationship between the rear leg & rear hip is described as Internally Rotating. That's what I was attempting to describe above in this section ....

This coiling of the rear hip occurs against a somewhat resistive rear femur. The rear femur may even be seen to slightly rotate clockwise (RH hitter) during this time, which isn’t actually External Rotation if you consider that the hips are the cause of the rear leg being … coiled … twisted … into a mini torsion-like spring. That is, the relationship between the rear hip and rear femur is basically closing … or Internal Rotation is taking place with respect to the rear femur and rear hip.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1