How did he do it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
nope. the hips. I thought we already established this.
'Hip launch delay' is the phrase you bolded. You then asked 'how can one achieve this. There are many ways.'

To that, i answered delayed launch of the hands. which you said you used to think that way, then showed gifs of what i thought to be your reply to my delayed hands. If it was just showing hip launch delay then we are back at the result but no further along on how one achieved that result. If your gifs were showing me your answer, i guess i dont know specifically what you are showing. thanks.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
'Hip launch delay' is the phrase you bolded. You then asked 'how can one achieve this. There are many ways.'

To that, i answered delayed launch of the hands. which you said you used to think that way, then showed gifs of what i thought to be your reply to my delayed hands. If it was just showing hip launch delay then we are back at the result but no further along on how one achieved that result. If your gifs were showing me your answer, i guess i dont know specifically what you are showing. thanks.

hands launch the hips Is a feel. But the launch is middle out from a physical standpoint.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks, but i guess i am still not understanding.

The question you asked me was 'How does one 'delay hip launch'? Is there an answer for this? If it's not hands and not sinking into legs, then i am not sure what it is. thanks.

the core contraction is launch (glutes to the oblique). hands helps this along. otherwise it’s a ‘active rotational’ swing. Make sense?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
the core contraction is launch (glutes to the oblique). hands helps this along. otherwise it’s a ‘active rotational’ swing. Make sense?
Maybe. I am still not sure if the question has been answered or just redefined. I didn't ask the question, you did, but I thought i was trying to answer it.

So the question was 'How does one 'delay hip launch'? I think your bold above is not an answer, just a different way to define 'hip launch'. So if i ask the question ' How does one 'delay core contraction?', is that the same question? If so, what is the answer?

If your answer to the question from the OP of how did he do it is, 'he delayed core contraction', then.....ok, but that can just be said that he swung later. But i dont think that was the intent of the thread. I believe that OP is asking how a hitter stays dynamic on an offspeed? How does the hitter dynamically stay 'unlaunched' and still hit an HR on an offspeed pitch. At least that is my interpretation.

Oct 2, 2017
Maybe. I am still not sure if the question has been answered or just redefined. I didn't ask the question, you did, but I thought i was trying to answer it.

So the question was 'How does one 'delay hip launch'? I think your bold above is not an answer, just a different way to define 'hip launch'. So if i ask the question ' How does one 'delay core contraction?', is that the same question? If so, what is the answer?

If your answer to the question from the OP of how did he do it is, 'he delayed core contraction', then.....ok, but that can just be said that he swung later. But i dont think that was the intent of the thread. I believe that OP is asking how a hitter stays dynamic on an offspeed? How does the hitter dynamically stay 'unlaunched' and still hit an HR on an offspeed pitch. At least that is my interpretation.
Correct, that was the question.

Jun 8, 2016
Probably going to be different answers depending on what you think needs to be done prior to launching on every swing(continue to hold coil, keep resisting with the upper half, try to stay square, etc)...I will say though that most answers will always include mentioning having more pressure on the front foot at launch than would normally occur (even the rear-legged/1 leg advocates...I have seen TM say it in the past).

Personally I think you develop good underlying mechanics (however you choose to do that) and then let the hitter use their athleticism, coupled with their underlying mechanics, to figure out how to do the adjusting....

How is that for a non-answer..pretty good right? :LOL:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

apologies. I’m speaking experientially. feel like I’m at the other place discussing 😫..... if the hips don’t delay. You will come around the ball. Early hip extension or coming out of posture. The hips extend when the core/hands say so. Not before. the worst cue in hitting is ‘hips before hands’. It ruins way way more than it helps.

in a nutshell. delaying hip launch is the key to direction. Actually creating a reactive hip launch is the key to control and direction. I hope this makes sense to you.

Oct 2, 2017
Probably going to be different answers depending on what you think needs to be done prior to launching on every swing(continue to hold coil, keep resisting with the upper half, try to stay square, etc)...I will say though that most answers will always include mentioning having more pressure on the front foot at launch than would normally occur (even the rear-legged/1 leg advocates...I have seen TM say it in the past).

Personally I think you develop good underlying mechanics (however you choose to do that) and then let the hitter use their athleticism, coupled with their underlying mechanics, to figure out how to do the adjusting....

How is that for a non-answer..pretty good right? :LOL:

Not to shabby of a non answer LOL. I'm liking the comments though of peoples thoughts about what is happening.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez