How did he do it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It makes perfect sense, but IMO still doesn't answer the question of 'how did he do it?'

You are telling me the reasons why you want to do what the hitter did, but not how the hitter did it. What i am hearing is that the hitter delayed hip extension by delaying his hip extension.

You do mention that the hips extend when the core/hands say so, though you also mentioned that it's not specifically the hands. So what are the hands doing and the core before launch? The hitter steps down with his front leg, does that just stop? What is the same and what is different?

I have told you 3 times how he did it. Heck you even said how he did it. LOL.

this is where you pick up a bat and swing.

Oct 2, 2017
Here is my question. If I give you my answer, or anybody else gives you their answer, how is that going to help your hitter? You don't train a hitter to be able to hit offspeed pitchers. You train them to have a set of mechanics which allow them to properly adjust to offspeed pitches. If your hitter cannot adjust to offspeed pitches properly than they more than likely have flaws that are going to effect their swing on every pitch. That said using offspeed pitches as a part of training can sometimes ease your identification of these flaws..

So basically what I am saying is this thread is a waste of time..sorry @clemenslee1 :LOL:

If its a waste then oh well LOL thats fine. To others maybe not. The bold above is what the answers given by various view is what it will lead to. Knowing what set of mechanics is being deployed in the first place. That allows them to adjust. When one adjust your are seeing the exaggerated end of the spectrum of the original mechanics deployed in the first place. At least that is what I would think we are seeing. Does "adjust" mean changing mechanics?

Jun 8, 2016
If its a waste then oh well LOL thats fine. To others maybe not. The bold above is what the answers given by various view is what it will lead to. Knowing what set of mechanics is being deployed in the first place.
I get it..I was just teasing you ;)
Does "adjusting" mean changing mechanics?
In my mind adjusting to offspeed just means keep trying to do what you do before launch on a fastball for a longer period of time. If you are "fooled" than there may be some compensations involved which may make it less than optimal but still good enough to get the job done..athletic ability/strength etc would come into play here to determine how good "less than optimal" actually is (somebody post that Manny HR where he was way out in front of it...cannot find it)

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
This is also the reason why I use the back knee as a check point for good sequence, not hip rotation or IR of the rear knee. If the back knee has advanced forward before the hands sequence is good imo.
So what do you see in regards to the back knee for the OPs hitter?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I have told you 3 times how he did it. Heck you even said how he did it. LOL.

this is where you pick up a bat and swing.
That's fine, my understanding is you told me what he did not how he did. but in any case, since this a waste of time i guess i wont continue. cheers.

Jun 8, 2016
since this a waste of time i guess i wont continue. cheers.
Relax..if you think it is worthwhile than it is worthwhile..that was only my opinion. No need to get your panties in a wad..

In terms of what @Work=wins is saying, I think a goal of trying and keep your hips square to the plate as long as you can while trying to keep the upper body resisting would be a way of thinking about what he is saying...hold your angles. (he can correct me here if I am way off base..). Others will say to try and hold your coil which in some way is basically saying the same thing from a geometry perspective...However you look at it, to my eye he does get into his front leg a bit more in order to try and do this but I don't think that is something which he is consciously doing.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Relax..if you think it is worthwhile than it is worthwhile..that was only my opinion. No need to get your panties in a wad..

In terms of what @Work=wins is saying, I think a goal of trying and keep your hips square to the plate as long as you can while trying to keep the upper body resisting would be a way of thinking about what he is saying...hold your angles. (he can correct me here if I am way off base..). Others will say to try and hold your coil which in some way is basically saying the same thing from a geometry perspective...However you look at it, to my eye he does get into his front leg a bit more in order to try and do this but I don't think that is something which he is consciously doing.
i had to laugh, i was always wondering how it would feel to have someone say that (dont get ur panties in a wad) to me on this site. haha, it's actually pretty funny. :D thanks for that.

IMO straight answers are hard to get on this site, so thank you for your answer. I do consider the bolded to be an answer to the question. That was the core to the question, being that if a hitter is fooled by an offspeed how does he maintain the ability to hold the angles as you put it. One way, as you state, is to 'get into the front leg' a bit more. I didn't see it so much here, which is why i was also interested in the concept of delaying the hands, as is seems like the hands started moving but moved slower and then launched a bit later having already moved forward a bit. You have to somehow stay dynamic otherwise isn't that just another version of ABAF?

in any case, i am not saying to train for this, it was just an interesting question from the OP on what people saw the hitter doing. Thanks again, appreciate the feedback.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Here’s one of mine adjusting to off speed. She was cued to ‘stay square‘ and ‘meet‘ the ball. This was her interpretation.

View attachment 22272
So for this hitter, to be able to 'stay square' she looks like she actually stops or delays her momentum. perhaps from pushing back a bit on the front leg. Then once the delay created the correction of the timing, continued thru to a normal swing. maybe?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
fanboi, its not that difficult to get forward yet back if one uses the middle more efficiently so they can sit off-speed.. Most hitters think of the movements from the frontal plane (catcher to pitcher) so all the stretching occurs within that plane of motion... Think in terms of stretching head to toe within the sagittal plane...

This young girl has done so by thinking of her legs as anchors (IOW's don't give them an active job) and let the middle be responsible for the movement while killing the legs (the legs will respond when they need to during the swing).

FZsLDtB.gif

GdwwqQT.gif

vNHlTGK.gif

CB715nl.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom