How did he do it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So for this hitter, to be able to 'stay square' she looks like she actually stops or delays her momentum. perhaps from pushing back a bit on the front leg. Then once the delay created the correction of the timing, continued thru to a normal swing. maybe?

the front leg will adjust accordingly if the middle is loaded(no leaks)and anchored. Notice the young lady doesn’t sink as far into her front leg as the original pro hitter. he’s adjusting to a lower off speed pitch. the young lady is adjusting to something more ‘up’. But they both delayed launch through the middle of their bodies and met the ball a bit more ‘out front’. Essentially anchoring the lower half and letting the upper go ‘get’ or ‘meet’ the ball.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I can tell you that nobody that you give this cue to knows what it means.

Ok so now you have me thinking about what "stay back" means to me. I think I'm talking about the hands. Don't get the hands going forward too early. And I now agree that "stay back" is probably a terrible cue unless someone has explained what they want.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Wasn't asking about nobody, was asking you what you meant by 'staying back'. head back, body back, leg back, bat back, hands back? is it back in physical space or maybe back in time? staying back by delaying? Just looking for what you meant by staying back.
I did not use that phrase in this thread. I try not to use it. It's meaningless, because nobody knows what it means.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yep, it allows the rear leg/hip do its thing, while leveraging all available resources.

wnzLWFt.gif

Its also why these guys look more natural (not contorted) when they get fyb..

83Z8H05.gif

EDUhq36.gif

Load and keep the weight in the sagittal plane. that’s what ‘stay back‘ should mean.

View attachment 22286

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
They are timing the knee lift. That’s all the load you need. The knee lift loads what needs to be loaded

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The knee being lifted is part of loading within the s-plane and allows fyb to happen naturally..

wnzLWFt.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Folks seem to zero in on the rear leg/hip coil when looking at clips but the reality is this movement needs to be the result of other balanced actions.. Don't make it more then it needs to be within the sequence. Let it happen when it needs to happen stop forcing it and compromising the natural sequence of movements.

EDUhq36.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478