How did he do it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
apologies. I’m speaking experientially. feel like I’m at the other place discussing 😫..... if the hips don’t delay. You will come around the ball. Early hip extension or coming out of posture. The hips extend when the core/hands say so. Not before. the worst cue in hitting is ‘hips before hands’. It ruins way way more than it helps.

in a nutshell. delaying hip launch is the key to direction. Actually creating a reactive hip launch is the key to control and direction. I hope this makes sense to you.

I agree with the bold above for sure.

Jun 8, 2016
Not to shabby of a non answer LOL. I'm liking the comments though of peoples thoughts about what is happening.
Basically what I was trying to say is you are going to get different answers depending on what "theory" people ascribe to and hence their answers should be somewhat predictable... ;)

Oct 2, 2017
I think the biggest factor aside from mechanics in this topic, has to be approach. Is one a guess hitter, or a sit fast, and adjust off speed. Having a game plan, allows one to be as mechanically efficient as possible, regardless of their method of hitting in order to "stay back" (@efastball i agree a terrible cue). This is different than being completely fooled, then its just emergency hack at that point. LOL All this IMO

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
apologies. I’m speaking experientially. feel like I’m at the other place discussing 😫..... if the hips don’t delay. You will come around the ball. Early hip extension or coming out of posture. The hips extend when the core/hands say so. Not before. the worst cue in hitting is ‘hips before hands’. It ruins way way more than it helps.

in a nutshell. delaying hip launch is the key to direction. Actually creating a reactive hip launch is the key to control and direction. I hope this makes sense to you.
It makes perfect sense, but IMO still doesn't answer the question of 'how did he do it?'

You are telling me the reasons why you want to do what the hitter did, but not how the hitter did it. What i am hearing is that the hitter delayed hip extension by delaying his hip extension.

You do mention that the hips extend when the core/hands say so, though you also mentioned that it's not specifically the hands. So what are the hands doing and the core before launch? The hitter steps down with his front leg, does that just stop? What is the same and what is different?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Probably going to be different answers depending on what you think needs to be done prior to launching on every swing(continue to hold coil, keep resisting with the upper half, try to stay square, etc)...I will say though that most answers will always include mentioning having more pressure on the front foot at launch than would normally occur (even the rear-legged/1 leg advocates...I have seen TM say it in the past).

Personally I think you develop good underlying mechanics (however you choose to do that) and then let the hitter use their athleticism, coupled with their underlying mechanics, to figure out how to do the adjusting....

How is that for a non-answer..pretty good right? :LOL:
(y)
So this thread was based on one hitter with an Offspeed pitch. then i asked for a comparison. We are just looking at this one hitter. What do you think he did on the offspeed? did he put more pressure on the front foot vs the fastball? I didn't see it. Not looking for how a hitter should think about hitting the pitch, but instead how you think this hitter actually did it.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
This is the question of the decade.

I can tell you that nobody that you give this cue to knows what it means.
Wasn't asking about nobody, was asking you what you meant by 'staying back'. head back, body back, leg back, bat back, hands back? is it back in physical space or maybe back in time? staying back by delaying? Just looking for what you meant by staying back.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Basically what I was trying to say is you are going to get different answers depending on what "theory" people ascribe to and hence their answers should be somewhat predictable... ;)
Problem is i still really dont think that there has been an answer. Maybe i am just being obtuse.

Jun 8, 2016
(y)
So this thread was based on one hitter with an Offspeed pitch. then i asked for a comparison. We are just looking at this one hitter. What do you think he did on the offspeed? did he put more pressure on the front foot vs the fastball? I didn't see it. Not looking for how a hitter should think about hitting the pitch, but instead how you think this hitter actually did it.
Here is my question. If I give you my answer, or anybody else gives you their answer, how is that going to help your hitter? You don't train a hitter to be able to hit offspeed pitches. You train them to have a set of mechanics which allow them to properly adjust to offspeed pitches. If your hitter cannot adjust to offspeed pitches properly than they more than likely have flaws that are going to effect their swing on every pitch. That said using offspeed pitches as a part of training can sometimes ease your identification of these flaws..

So basically what I am saying is this thread is a waste of time..sorry @clemenslee1 :LOL:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45