How come pitchers get all the attention?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I know that pitching is a big part of the game, even someone not that involved with softball and/or baseball know that but how come pitchers are always player of the years and get all the awards and exposure more than hitters. Atleast in baseball people worship home run hitters (but not the guys with the best on base percentages who contribute to scoring when a homerun is hit) It seems like you have to be either a big home run hitter or a pitcher with an ERA very close to zero. Why are the other people getting put behind the scenes? :confused:

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Pitchers are the quarterbacks of softball and arguably touch the ball more than anyone else on the team and therefore are the most important person on the field IMO. Someone on this board (halskinner?) said "pitcher is the only offense position out in the field".

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How come pitchers get all the attention? Because people don't understand the game.

As the competition level increases, the importance of the pitcher decreases. Why? Because every team has a great pitcher. In the Olympics, Japan was a better team than the US team. In the NCAA, Washington was a better team than Florida. You swap the pitchers, and Washington still beats Florida.

Pitchers are *NOT* the quarterback of softball teams. Their job is throw the ball. At the higher levels, that is their only job. They don't call the pitches. They don't bat. They don't tell anyone where to throw the ball. The catcher runs the team.

After we won a national qualifier, the team voted my DD (the pitcher) the MVP. She wasn't the MVP. The lead-off batter who hit .670, had a dozen stolen bases and scored another dozen runs was the MVP.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks Ray. I could never figure out why coaches and parents were making such a big deal about pitchers who, as pitchers go, just weren't that good. They depended on the other team not being able to hit. When they played a team that could actually hit, the girl "had an off day". I was so tired of hearing these pitchers mothers talk about how "it's all about the pitching".

DD started seeing game balls being handed out after wins and soon realized it was only the pitcher's efforts that are recognized. so she stopped getting her hopes up. her last year in 12U, last at bat, last game of the championships, she hit a grand slam that basically won the game (and championship) for her team. the opposing coach, to this day, can't believe that her coach gave her so little recognition in the win and all the credit went to the pitcher.

Now her little sister is pitching and I see the game differently. I still think the other players efforts are just as valuable, but I stress a lot more when she's pitching.

Feb 8, 2009
How come pitchers get all the attention? Because people don't understand the game.

As the competition level increases, the importance of the pitcher decreases. Why? Because every team has a great pitcher. In the Olympics, Japan was a better team than the US team. In the NCAA, Washington was a better team than Florida. You swap the pitchers, and Washington still beats Florida.

Pitchers are *NOT* the quarterback of softball teams. Their job is throw the ball. At the higher levels, that is their only job. They don't call the pitches. They don't bat. They don't tell anyone where to throw the ball. The catcher runs the team.

After we won a national qualifier, the team voted my DD (the pitcher) the MVP. She wasn't the MVP. The lead-off batter who hit .670, had a dozen stolen bases and scored another dozen runs was the MVP.
FOR ONE GAME, Japan was a better team than the USA. If they played 10 times , Japan would win 20% to 30% of the time.

Jun 6, 2009
Pitchers get too much credit when they win and too much blame when they lose.

*WARNING THE FOLLOWING IS POLITICALLY INCORRECT*

Pitchers are sort of like women......Can't live with 'em ,can't live without 'em.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Ask any HS, College, Pro coach what they would prefer.

A stud hitter or a stud pitcher.

Rule # 1 good pitching always beats good hitting. At every level of the game. Has been that way forever. Will continue to be that way forever.

Why do pitchers often get full rides and hitters get partial rides when it comes to scholarships?

Not saying its right but it has to do with perceived value.

Dana

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Rule # 1 good pitching always beats good hitting. At every level of the game. Has been that way forever. Will continue to be that way forever.

I agree and disagree. At lower levels, if the TEAM can hit -I would disagree.

I do agree about a good pitcher trumping a good hitter. A good hitter, even if they're 4/4 they're only getting up 4 times in the game. The pitcher, on the other hand is in there for every pitch to every batter .

That said, I still think hitters are under appreciated.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
U of Az. tried to be successful with their big sticks last season. They were not happy with their 0-2 record at the world series. They easily had the best hitters (over all) of most of the teams there. But, their pitching did not materialize.

This year, they have reloaded with a #1 pitcher. She may also hit. In HS, she very much was the quarterback. She did it all. So, we will see how it transfers to the big time.

I always gave credit where credit was due. One year in college ball, I gave the catcher the MVP. It ticked my pitcher off and she was really mad. But it is easy to see who stands out in a ball game. It's not always the pitcher.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Are you kidding me!

Every play in softball starts with the pitcher throwing a pitch. Every out starts with the pitcher throwing the pitch.

A dominant pitcher will win the battle with a dominant hitter the vast majority of the time.

If pitching does not dominate the game, how can you possibly explain Eddie Feigner's (The KIng and his Court) win / loss record over all those years utilizing only three fielders??

Everyone knows the pitcher has more responsibility in the outcome of the game than any other player on the team. Otherwise, shortstops would have their own win / loss records.

Ueno beat the USA team because she was better at pitching than they were at hitting and she proved it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877