How come pitchers get all the attention?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2008
Vermont
Why Pitchers get all the credit

A great pitcher can keep you in most games - where one good offensive player can be pitched around and be made relatively harmless. In fastpitch a pitcher can pitch much more frequently than in baseball so she is able to dominate repeatedly. But it's a team game. Without a catcher calling the game, fielders making plays and an offense to outscore the opposition a game can never be won ... so there should be a better balance.

It is unfair to focus ALL of the attention on the pitcher, but the pitcher without a doubt has the largest influence on the outcome of a game.

I would suggest that tournaments and leagues should have awards for best pitcher and for best player - just as MLB has an MVP and a Cy Yound Award. A pitcher could win both - but should have to contribute offensively and defensively to be considered for best player. Many college conferences have pitcher of the week/year and player of the week/year awards - lower level organizations should follow suit.

When the game of softball becomes more offensive minded (and it's headed in that direction today) the focus of attention on pitchers will logically diminish.

My DD was a SS and (in the estimation of others) was the best softball player in our state in her junior and senior years, but a pitcher from a lower HS division got the Gatorade POY award both years. When she had an opportunity to face this pitcher in summer ball, she hit this pitcher pretty hard. The pitcher got a full ride to a lower level DI program. My DD was not recruited - but walked on at a mid-level DI school in Georgia (they played 5 to 10 games against top 25 teams every year), made the team, and eventually received a 50% ride for her last 2 years, played in their conference championship game 3 straight years and in an NCAA regional.

Jun 22, 2008
Ask Cat Osterman what its like to be a great college pitcher with a mediocre defense behind you and no offensive run support.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"I would suggest that tournaments and leagues should have awards for best pitcher and for best player - just as MLB has an MVP and a Cy Yound Award. A pitcher could win both - but should have to contribute offensively and defensively to be considered for best player. Many college conferences have pitcher of the week/year and player of the week/year awards - lower level organizations should follow suit. "

I strongly agree with this.

Back when I was still pitching, when you walked in the gate, there was a table with one of every trophy on it.

1st place individual, 2nd and 3rd.
1st place sponsor (Team) trophy, 2nd and 3rd.

All Tourney trophy.
MV Player
MV Pitcher.

The 1st place trophies were NOTICEABLY more impressive and larger than the 2nd and 3rd.

The individual All Tourney trohpies were NOTICEABLY bigger than the 1st place individual ones.

The 2 MV trophies were many of the times MUCH LARGER than the All Tourney Trophies.

The first place sponsor trophies were, most of the time, RIDICULOUSLY BIGGER than the 2nd place.

You no sooner walked inside the park and you knew exactly what trophies youwanted to win and you played hard to get them. NOBODY wanted to settle for that dinky 2nd place trophy.

They should do the same for the girls, however, I can only recall a couple tournies I went to and saw the trophies beforehand. I recall one tourny where the 1st place individual trophies were cheap toe rings! Man were those kids pissed. The first place team trophy was a wooden Buddha with a clock in his belly ( the coach dropped it in the trash can outside the gate. ). The coach said he would never goto another tourny that org sponsored.

Let the kids see what they are playing for from the gate and watch how harder they fight for the big brass!.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd is a pitcher and hitter. We are talking to several schools and she is a 16 year old Junior. One recent conversation went something like this, "that school is looking at her as a pitcher but we are looking at her as a hitter." Which one do you think suggest or hints at more financial help? BTW, no monies have been mentioned and just hinted at.

For one thing, I bet on average, over their career (from 10-ish years old to their last game ever) pitchers spend a lot more time away from the field working on their pitching than catchers do on catching, infielders on ground balls, etc., and at least until college, also work on hitting as much as anyone else (and, in a lot of cases, are one of the best hitters on the team).

Plus, as mentioned, if they don't do their job, no one else on the defense has a chance to do theirs :)

Oct 18, 2009
For one thing, I bet on average, over their career (from 10-ish years old to their last game ever) pitchers spend a lot more time away from the field working on their pitching than catchers do on catching, infielders on ground balls, etc., and at least until college, also work on hitting as much as anyone else (and, in a lot of cases, are one of the best hitters on the team).

Plus, as mentioned, if they don't do their job, no one else on the defense has a chance to do theirs :)

It's true. Pitchers need to work harder than almost anyone else. It's the rare hitter that goes to lessons weekly and hits 3-4x/week. There are more than a handful of pitchers I know that have to go to lessons weekly (sometimes 2x weekly in the winter) and practice 3-4x week outside that. With that work ethic applied similarly to hitting they usually do become some of the better hitters as well... especially at the younger ages.

It's true. Pitchers need to work harder than almost anyone else. It's the rare hitter that goes to lessons weekly and hits 3-4x/week. There are more than a handful of pitchers I know that have to go to lessons weekly (sometimes 2x weekly in the winter) and practice 3-4x week outside that. With that work ethic applied similarly to hitting they usually do become some of the better hitters as well... especially at the younger ages.

I'm a hitter and I hit 4 times a week. (Fri,Sat,Sun,Wed) :) But I see what you mean I went to our recreational softball field the other day and seen two middle school pitchers (who will be trying out for our team next year) and they were getting lessons from the same woman and there was no hitter in sight getting lessons or practicing. My father is my lessons instructor he thinks its dumb for me to pay a stranger to give me lessons when he played baseball at my age :p

A stud hitter or a stud pitcher.

Rule # 1 good pitching always beats good hitting. At every level of the game. Has been that way forever. Will continue to be that way forever.

Why do pitchers often get full rides and hitters get partial rides when it comes to scholarships?

Not saying its right but it has to do with perceived value.

Dana

I've heard this being said by a commentator on the Little League Baseaball championship on ESPN but then a month later I can't remember where I heard it but someone else said that good hitting stops good pitching. :)

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm a hitter and I hit 4 times a week. (Fri,Sat,Sun,Wed) :) But I see what you mean I went to our recreational softball field the other day and seen two middle school pitchers (who will be trying out for our team next year) and they were getting lessons from the same woman and there was no hitter in sight getting lessons or practicing. My father is my lessons instructor he thinks its dumb for me to pay a stranger to give me lessons when he played baseball at my age :p

Here are a few reasons to pay someone for lessons if they are good: a) they see a lot of kids and know how to teach b) they might be more objective than a parent c) a father never played girls fastpitch softball d) they are a great resource to ask a lot of questions. IMO, the primary reasons parents don't get their kids lessons are 1) cost and 2) ego.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g