How cold is too cold to play 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
The temps tonight are going to be in the mid to low 30's and the windchills mid 20's. Yet our league is still planning on playing games.

Oh did I mention we were dumped on overnight with rain, sleet, hail, and snow so the fields are wet and probably a mess.

How cold is too cold to play 12U games?

Nov 8, 2010
If you end up playing on the fields tonight in that condition, it'll be the last time they refuse to call the games off. ;)

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Wind chills of twenty degrees is toooo cold! Our team played in cold snow one tournament. Was new experience but we don't want to do it again! If we wouldn't be practicing in it...we shouldn't be playing in it! :)

May 21, 2010
Davenport, IA
I feel for you. We just did a tournament last weekend - the Sunday morning temp at 8:00am was around 32 degrees. Most of the players had hand warmers in their hoodies just to keep their hands warm enough to throw the ball around. Our first game was at 10:30am (14u) and the wind was blowing around 20+ from left field to home plate. Probably the coldest game we have ever done. If it wasn't for the girls I would have wimped out with D.G. :)

Oct 19, 2009
Fifty degrees.

They can't play, if you aren't there. :)

50 degrees! Spoken like someone spoiled with awesome climate. We'd never get any Spring games in up north if that were the rule.

To the OP. Those field conditions coupled with the cold sound like a recipe for injuries. Common sense needs to prevail.

As far as a straight up temp requirement goes, I think it should be at least above freezing. We've played in those conditions before and it's real tough to motivate the girls.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yep. I am spoiled. When it is 85 here at night, we are putting on jeans and sweatshirts.

I spent too many decades at ballgames in central IL and then, we moved to Flagstaff. Now, that was cold!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1