Paying for DD to ride the bench....Not My Thing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
This weekend my DD was asked to join a solid B but low A tournament team. I told the guy who asked that "I don't pay for bench time". The guy felt slighted and had the nerve to say "Playing on a great team is a privilege and sometimes you have to wait your turn"

I replied: good when she gets good enough to start on your team come back but like I said before I don't pay for bench time.

I have read allot of post on this forum any many believe in the waiting your time. At 12U no...I don't....If she works hard during practice.....if she is putting extra work in.....and I am paying.....oh she is playing the entire game or I'll find another team

That is just me. Practice is Great and extremely important but game play is important for DDS to understand game scenarios. As games are different than practice.....the pressure is different

Heck this weekend in....the girls were in an elimination bracket with time expired bottom of the ending the girls in the out field. Score 11 to 10 the girls are up bases loaded no outs. The team bunts my DD is catcher she grabs the bunt going up third tagged the girl on the force run then throw out third base 2 quick outs and now girl on 2nd and 1st with 2 outs......and the pitcher got it together with three strikes game over...... This was my DD 1st full game as catcher (she normally plays CF) and she said after the game....""Dad I wanted to be taken out so bad.....I didn't want to mess up....she went on to say I felt like no one was on the field by me and the pitcher and everyone was looking at us.....and we did it we made it though""....after that statement I hugged her

you don't get that in practice and I am not paying for her to ride the bench.....that is just me....

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
So what you are saying is that if a team does not guarantee you that your dd is a starter and that she will play every minute of every game, you will not allow your dd to play for that team. If she ain't startin you ain't departin. If she ain't playin, you ain't stayin. Personally, my dd never received that type of guarantee. As a coach, I would never give it. Good luck.

Jun 8, 2016
So what you are saying is that if a team does not guarantee you that your dd is a starter and that she will play every minute of every game, you will not allow your dd to play for that team. If she ain't startin you ain't departin. If she ain't playin, you ain't stayin. Personally, my dd never received that type of guarantee. As a coach, I would never give it. Good luck.
Now I know where the kids whose parents bitch at me about their kid's grade come from. I literally had one parent a few years back tell me he wasn't paying for his kid to get a C...this is college. I told him he should be talking to his kid about that, not me. He wasn't a fan of that answer..

Mar 28, 2020
This should have been posted in the 'Most Obnoxious Parent' thread.

Oh yea I'm that parent, and I tell you..... I got three kids that all received scholarships...2 DI full rides and one DII partial .. I been there seen that....Got the hat, T-shirt, and Shoe Strings.

So I tell a coach up front. I tell you want you are getting.....don't get pissed at me....I told you up front.....you don't want none of this smoke.....

I am the customer .... Its my money and this game is expensive...... The coach saw her talent he knows she is raw ..... She and I are happy with our current team.

If you are going to recruit us away (and its us my money and her talent) ..... I expect her to play. Don't get pissed when I tell you that .... you can't guarantee there are 100 other parents that would love you ... not Me

My bank account says if I am paying and she is putting the work in....and yes she is putting the work in......she plays... if not USAA calls and curses me out..... LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi