Hovering

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As I understand it, "hovering" is keeping the forward move controlled by the rear leg and getting the front foot down on time.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne

Speaking of hovering, what are you thoughts on Voit and Hoskins?
I notice this style of hover more with Japanese and Korean players. Whatever helps those guys control that forward move I guess. I personally like hover drills for that reason. Staying coiled or stretched till launch.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
As I understand it, "hovering" is keeping the forward move controlled by the rear leg and getting the front foot down on time.

I can buy that explanation. However these 2 guys are like pitchers who have a leg lift and then pause before going to the plate.

So, is there such a thing as starting to early?

edit: there are knee lifts that start this early, so it's not just starting early. They have a glide/pause built in.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I can buy that explanation. However these 2 guys are like pitchers who have a leg lift and then pause before going to the plate.

So, is there such a thing as starting to early?

edit: there are knee lifts that start this early, so it's not just starting early. They have a glide/pause built in.

If the rear leg is truly in control, you should be able to start a day early and still be able to swing on time.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hover example ....

Bonds4c-hover.gif

Notice how late the front foot is planted relative to the rear foot lifting.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Hover example ....

Bonds4c-hover.gif

FFS, the video you show reminds me of when Hudgens used to speak about, "heel - toe." I don't have the video anymore and so, I can't get his exact words but the sense of the front heel hitting while the batter is controlling that back hip and coming onto the rear toe is shown in the video. I know Mud knows Hudgen's stuff a lot better if he would care to add something.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hover example ....

Bonds4c-hover.gif

Great example of the swing launch weighting the front foot.

Do you happen to have the video (or a link) of Manny in the cage with Doug Latta? If I recall, Latta was instructing that the swing and getting to the front foot happen as one move.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA