Hovering

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Great example of the swing launch weighting the front foot.

Do you happen to have the video (or a link) of Manny in the cage with Doug Latta? If I recall, Latta was instructing that the swing and getting to the front foot happen as one move.

Believe you are referring to this here .... take care of the legs first, and then hands ... let your legs take you there.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1105983185840676866

Apr 11, 2015
FFS, the video you show reminds me of when Hudgens used to speak about, "heel - toe." I don't have the video anymore and so, I can't get his exact words but the sense of the front heel hitting while the batter is controlling that back hip and coming onto the rear toe is shown in the video. I know Mud knows Hudgen's stuff a lot better if he would care to add something.
Here's Dave's words on his "heel-toe" thoughts...
Dave Hudgens said:
SWING SEQUENCE

• When your stride foot comes down, your weight needs to be balanced to 60% back with your hands around the back foot. This is a critical position to be in to hit for average and power.
  • The stride should start early, it should be easy and your stride foot should be down by the time the ball gets half way to three quarters of the way to home plate.
  • After the stride, as the front heel lands, the back heel should start to lift off the ground. This will start the proper sequence with the lower half of the body.
  • This is not a two part movement.
  • As the back heel comes up the rotation of the hips will start.
  • You don't want to push forward off your back foot- this will force your hips to slide forward, you want more of a rotational movement at this point.
  • Just after the backside starts turning, your hands will start their path to the ball.
PROPER TAKES

I can tell by looking at a hitter's take whether or not he has a good approach, if he is going to over swing, or if he is going to be under control. The take is so important because it is the first sequence in the approach to the ball. If the take is hard, the swing is going to be hard and out of control. Many mechanical breakdowns occur when the swing is out of control. If the take is easy, more than likely the swing is going to be under control. If the swing is balanced and under control the sequence will work properly so you will be able to repeat your swing and have a good feel for what you are doing. As a hitting instructor, when I see a hitter that has a nice take, not too hard and not too easy, I know he has a chance of success regardless of whom he is facing.

A proper take is one with good balance and proper heel - toe action. If the heel - toe action is correct, the hip sequence is good. If I don't see the proper heel toe action, I know the hip sequence is incorrect. If the lower half action is correct, my eyes go to the hitter's hands. I want to see the hands start to every pitch. So as the back heel starts its turn, the hands will start their approach to the ball.
...and while he talks about the two heels in that sequence; it's the movement of the rear "heel" coming up, and the hitter ending up on the rear "toe" after the swing...that's his idea of the proper weight transfer from the 60% back pre-swing, to the weight shifted forward more onto the front leg with just a slight bit on the rear leg/toe is where he gets the "heel-toe" cue or concept. Sort of like Eric said as an, "example of the swing launch weighting the front foot".

Hudgens also taught the 4x4 drill, that is a great way to get the feel of hovering..."while the batter is controlling that back hip".

While the 4x4 is a little too tall to allow a student to swing from safely IMO, I've older student swing from a 2x4. With the rear foot just that 1-1/2" off the ground, it allows for an ease in "hovering" the front leg as long as you want (since the front leg's off the ground just standing there), and then really no matter what you do with it (the front leg), you won't really move forward until you're ready to attack the ball and swing.

If you do happen to move too early, you'll fall off the 2x4 (or 4x4 in the drill), and will become off-balance with too much weight forward, and the swing feels downhill, and awkward.

Hope that's what you were looking for CB.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Here's Dave's words on his "heel-toe" thoughts...

...and while he talks about the two heels in that sequence; it's the movement of the rear "heel" coming up, and the hitter ending up on the rear "toe" after the swing...that's his idea of the proper weight transfer from the 60% back pre-swing, to the weight shifted forward more onto the front leg with just a slight bit on the rear leg/toe is where he gets the "heel-toe" cue or concept. Sort of like Eric said as an, "example of the swing launch weighting the front foot".

Hudgens also taught the 4x4 drill, that is a great way to get the feel of hovering..."while the batter is controlling that back hip".

While the 4x4 is a little too tall to allow a student to swing from safely IMO, I've older student swing from a 2x4. With the rear foot just that 1-1/2" off the ground, it allows for an ease in "hovering" the front leg as long as you want (since the front leg's off the ground just standing there), and then really no matter what you do with it (the front leg), you won't really move forward until you're ready to attack the ball and swing.

If you do happen to move too early, you'll fall off the 2x4 (or 4x4 in the drill), and will become off-balance with too much weight forward, and the swing feels downhill, and awkward.

Hope that's what you were looking for CB.

Yes and thanks! While I believe I was correct, your post was about a million times better. LOL

May 21, 2014
man, this post is exactly what I need to read/see today. We have been trying to get rid of a rear foot replant (which leads to a whole slew of issues) that she only does in games and I think the only way to get rid of it is using some type of this technique. It's crazy because she can be fine in the cage but in the pressure of the moment of a game reverts to this subconscious habit. We will try some hovering and see what happens. thanks for posting!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321