"Houston, we have a problem!"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
We were at a prominant high school softball tournament yesterday. The home team had a state of the art anouncing booth with all the bells and whistles, sound effects, the whole nine yards.

The visiting pitcher got rocked pretty hard. Before the 1st inning is over, this pitcher gets pulled. As she walked off the field the announcer says over the loud speakers ...

"Houston, we have a problem"

Any thoughts? I have mine .....

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Announce booth/announcer should be impartial. Announce the names, score & innings .... Leave personal comments out. JMHO

Jun 22, 2008
FED a couple of years back issued new rules regarding music, announcing etc. Dont remember if it is in the actual rule book or was just information put out, I will have to look. The jist of it is that the announcing and music should not be used to intimidate demean the players or teams. I will have to look through the rule book.

I did find this so far.

Note: The NFHS disapproves of any form of taunting which is intended or designed to embarass, ridicule or demean others under any circumstances, including race, religion, gender or nation of origin.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Found it. 2011 Points of Emphasis.

1. SPORTSMANSHIP. The NFHS disapproves of any form of behavior intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others. There have been instances noted nationally of the Public Address (PA) system being utilized to intimidate or “taunt” the visiting team by playing negative sound effects when specific opponents come to bat or the playing of “motivational” music only for the home team. When the PA system is used for announcements, introductions, sound effects, music, etc., the presentation should be as neutral as possible. Clear guidelines and expectations should be developed by school administrators and shared with the individuals serving in this capacity so presentations are not viewed as acts of intimidation.

Jul 2, 2013
To add to my original post.

I am the announcer for our local high school games.

I would never think to put words together as done here, as my role as announcer is to honor the young ladies on both sides of the field.

Thanks for the rules. To announce is representing your whole school, and the community at large. If I do a poor job, or crossed the line as I think was done here, my program would be very disappointed in me. For though we all like to win, there is nothing better than winning with class. And there are few worst things than winning without it.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Have to wonder if it was intentional or if they screwed up and left the mic open? Not sure which one is worse. Being a total jerk or being incompetent.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Besides my conflicting work schedule, this thread reminds me of why I turned down the offer to announce my daughter's streamed college games. Not that I would belittle the other team, but I might be overly critical of our own. Now that I see the way they've been playing it was a good choice. By now I'd probably have a huge fine from the FCC. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd