Home Run Derby - Ghost vs LXT

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
This is a tough one. I’m generally a proponent of not going too long too quick but if it’s working I probably would not go backwards. Two things about the vid, she appears to hit gap to gap which I like but I was not able to get a feel for the pitching. My concern: If you go too big and it’s working against low level pitching but the player then starts seeing better pitching for some reason, that can become a showstopper and merely using a smaller bat probably won’t immediately fix it.

Again if it’s working, you gotta roll with it. But if you are a parent thinking about doing this, be careful. Have seen too many players go from a 33 LXT or CF to a 34 Easton and spend the whole fricking summer struggling. The best example of this was a pencil thin player whose dad did the above and refused to buy the player the bat she had been using because the dummy paid full retail for a Ghost. Keep in mind this goof arrived at games to watch his daughter struggle in a new diesel pusher motor coach pulling a custom Jeep with 35” tires and he and his wife rode custom mountain bikes in between games. He wanted everyone to know how much he paid for that bat and that she wasn’t swinging an LXT anymore. She got the double whammy of 16u pitching vs 14u pitching and a bat that was too fricking big. Fell out of the top of the order quickly.

Dec 11, 2010
Gotta stick with it for sure. Sounds like it’s working for her. My dd has swung a -8 for a long time and I think a lot of people don't agree with that plan...

Sep 7, 2020
My 12 yo/120# DD went from 32/20 X12 LS to a 33/22 Ghost and couldn't be happier. We had tried a 33/23 Carbon Candy but she was just a little too slow coming around on faster pitcher's. Now if I could just help her see the ball a little better she will gain a lot of success.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Gotta stick with it for sure. Sounds like it’s working for her. My dd has swung a -8 for a long time and I think a lot of people don't agree with that plan...

The -8 is just an experiment. I have a feeling she will stick with the -10 Ghost.

She got the LXT for half off on bat day. She can sell it without much of a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
The -8 is just an experiment. I have a feeling she will stick with the -10 Ghost.

She got the LXT for half off on bat day. She can sell it without much of a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have that big girl as well, shes been swinging 34 since she was 12. We run the different drop experiments as well lol. Seems to swing the -10s with faster pitching and go heavier as the pitching slows. I dont care as long as you hit bombs and have a high average lol

May 27, 2013
Dd still has (and uses) the original Ghost that was issued. She loves that bat and “thinks” that she hits the farthest with it (from the right, full swing; dd is a slapper in games). However, the bat which she hits farthest with is her CF8 Delta Force bat. She gets more bat speed with that bat. Personally, I think she just likes the Ghost “sound” when she barrels the ball up.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
@JumboJack your comment on the the exit velocity sums it up and thanks for posting. I fall into what @Westwind said above but if your DD is jacking it then totally stick with it and keep hitting the bombs my brother!

I just have seen so many girls go too big on the bat and don't want every Mom or Dad to go buy a bat that is way to big for the kid expecting better results. Too many times it is the opposite and wasted time and money.

BUT.............if it works for the outlier like your DD......then keep doing what is working for sure!

Enjoyed your vids of the homers and thanks for sharing. Love to see the success!!

Best!

S3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild