Hmmmm...just when I thought I was figuring this hitting out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I was speaking with a very successful player from a successful college D-1 college program. Not top 10 or anything but pretty darn good and I asked what are you being taught about hitting this year and could you demonstrate. Received some of the following -

1) When she loads to the backside knee IS outside of foot. Not a problem being there.

2) The swing consists of a knob to the ball push with a wrist snap late in the swing and a long high follow through more towards right field (for a right handed batter).

3) Hips DO NOT rotate but sway from back to front. When hips and the shoulders rotate it causes you to "pull off the ball".

The team is playing .700 ball and this player is batting over .500 with 9HR's as a Freshman!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
How big is she? Some girls can knock it out of the park with a broom stick?

Also, is she actually hitting the way she described?

My DD is 21, so she would still be in college (if she had went) and unless someone changed her, she would consistently hit linear. That is all she knew. That is all I taught.

She hit about a dozen HRs in 3 years in HS, but they were all up against the fence and she had to run like heck. :)

If something works for a girl, I certainly don't change it.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I was speaking with a very successful player from a successful college D-1 college program. Not top 10 or anything but pretty darn good and I asked what are you being taught about hitting this year and could you demonstrate. Received some of the following -

1) When she loads to the backside knee IS outside of foot. Not a problem being there.

2) The swing consists of a knob to the ball push with a wrist snap late in the swing and a long high follow through more towards right field (for a right handed batter).

3) Hips DO NOT rotate but sway from back to front. When hips and the shoulders rotate it causes you to "pull off the ball".

The team is playing .700 ball and this player is batting over .500 with 9HR's as a Freshman!

IHOWSER

If you think it works then go for it....it is your daughter.

There are hitters that swing ugly and are successful while doing it! Look at their schedule and who they play as all D1 schools are not equal.

John Tschida's team at St. Thomas, Minn. would give most any D1 school problems and he is D3 and a very good hitting instructor in my opinion.

Trust me you have not see it all yet! It gets funnier as you travel and meet more people!

Thanks Howard

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I will second that. Not college but a local high school. The team bat is a Rocket Tech for every hitter on the team. Each girl that we faced had to chock up to swing the bat. I asked the coach after the game why the Rocket Tech. Heard it was the best bat on the market ! Howard will tell you I have been to many college camps and after you see how they teach hitting you shake your head and then you look at the team BA. The last one I was at the team was hitting in the low 200 and she was suppose to be one of the best hitting coaches in your area lhowser.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
just because this is what she says she doing doesn't mean that is what she is doing when she swings in a game.

I know. I hope to attend a bunch of home games now that the weather is good and they will play at home.
How big is she? Some girls can knock it out of the park with a broom stick?
Supreme athlete. About 5'-10 maybe 165 pounds. All lean muscle
Trust me you have not see it all yet! It gets funnier as you travel and meet more people!
I know...checking the team stats she is by far the leading producer. I've seen her since she was 11 and she always has been. I know that this model of hitting is what is taught at the school. I just find it fascinating. I'm guessing in game situations when facing 60 - 65 mph insticts just kick in.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
There are lots of different ways to hit a ball. We had a girl on our team this weekend hit two line lines to the base of the fence. She is a strict hands-to-the-ball type hitter. She is very strong and athletic. In my area most of the bigger and stronger players are hands-to-the-ball hitters. The odds of a coach convincing a parent that their big, strong, athletic daughter who just hit two balls to the base of the fence can hit even better by using rotational hitting principles, is slim and none...And nobody can find slim.

Most parents look at the occassional line drive to the fence, or over the fence, without factoring in the quality of pitching. The typical parent doesn't see the holes in their DD swing that will get exploited against better pitching. They also don't see all the easy chopper ground balls that their DD hits for easy outs.

IMO, if a fastpitch player is big enough and athletic enough, they can go a long ways utilizing a reasonably connected swing, because of the minus 10, 9, 8 high tech bats and short fences. Can you imagine a 12 year old boy hitting a homerun on a MLB field using a wood bat? In fastpitch we have 12 year old girls hitting the ball over 200' fences with bats just 2 ounces and two inches shy of what they can use in high school and college.

My DD isn't ever going to be a big, strong athletic girl. The only way she can compete is by optimally positioning her body to squeeze everything she can out of what she has. That's why we work so hard on her throwing mechanics and hitting mechanics.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Wellphyt great post. I fight that battle working with our high school players and parents. I have a girl that has probably one of the worst swings you can have. Steps out, rolls the wrists, drop her hands , I could list a bunch more. She is 5 10 and at 160 lbs, has great arm strength. So when she gets an inside pitch it is 220 feet over the fence, or a great foul ball. Had the most HR's last year. Mom and Dad argue why change her swing. Next pitcher is a little smarter and gives her nothing but low and outside pitches. K after K, with a weak hit now and then. You are right all the big strong girls here all use nothing but an arm type swing.. Most were taught young squish the bug and take hands to the ball, with no lower body or back side release. You film them and try to show them what is wrong and then fight the parents. You just pick your battles and win as many over as you can.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes