HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Both @clemenslee1 and @Work=wins gave an answer..you crowd sourcing ?😉

Edit: granted I am not sure either gave an anatomical reason why foot pressure inherently bleeds the stretch that is being discussed nor would I would know if whatever anatomical reason that is given would be right or wrong so 🤨

So, a weighted lead side gives up the coil (shifts across the pelvis to the lead leg) ?

Jun 8, 2016
Maybe because muscles are not like rubber bands that lengthen, and as pressure increases, a person is trying to lengthen the stretch, the body does not allow it to continue. Not even remotely saying this is correct but I thought it was interesting.

It’s a common belief that when you stretch a muscle, it becomes longer in length – but does it really? Your muscles are attached at one point on a bone and end at another point. Stretching doesn’t change those two attachment points – so how can you lengthen a muscle just by stretching it? The truth is you don’t actually change the length of the muscle permanently. Instead, when you stretch you soften your body’s protective response, or stretch reflex. It’s this protective reflex that keeps you from overstretching a muscle and causing injury.

How does the stretch reflex work? Within muscle fibers are proprioceptors called muscle spindles. These receptors send sensory input to your brain to tell it what state your muscle is in. For example, the muscle spindles monitor muscle length. If you stretch a muscle quickly, it activates the muscle spindles. The muscle spindles, acting through a sensory nerve, send input to your brain. The brain then sends a message back, through a motor nerve, telling the muscle to shorten so it won’t be overstretched and potentially injured. This is called the stretch reflex.

How does this relate to stretching? When you elongate a muscle in a slow, controlled manner, as when you stretch, it’s not perceived as a threat and the stretch reflex isn’t activated. As a result, you can extend the muscle further than you would normally be able to. The goal of a good stretch is to get the muscle to relax a little more by bypassing the stretch reflex. Although the muscle may be more relaxed and extended, it’s only temporary.
Yes muscles have rate dependent constitutive behavior but who says the optimal rate is delineated by the time and length relationship at foot down.

The stress reflex stuff actually lines up with @Work=wins load late mantra..

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Who knows..I’m lost.

I guess all I am getting at is the stretch (obliques/core) is still occurring after the COM has shifted forward. This is the time the hitter becomes weightless while the rear leg/hip relationship is still in place.

B7lvQZi.gif

Oct 2, 2017
I guess all I am getting at is the stretch (obliques/core) is still occurring after the COM has shifted forward. This is the time the hitter becomes weightless while the rear leg/hip relationship is still in place.

B7lvQZi.gif
I'm also stating that stretch is still occuring but the ability to hold any stretch starts to diminish the farther forward somebodies COM is shifted forward. Nobody is stating it is completely lost. I assume the original question is for ex. Some who is 60/40 at launch but is fooled enough to shift their COM to say 40/60 etc. or more.

There was a clip of a college or high school girl that was floating around here, that shows her getting extremely far forward and still hitting the ball. is a good example.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I'm also stating that stretch is still occurs but the ability to hold any stretch starts to diminish the farther forward somebodies COM is shifted forward. Nobody is stating it is completely lost. I assume the original question is for ex. Some who is 60/40 at launch but is fooled enough to shift their COM to say 40/60 etc. or more.

There was a clip of a college or high school girl that was floating around here, that shows her getting extremely far forward and still hitting the ball. is a good example.

I guess I don't know the range of motion within the core (stretching) in comparison to attempting to time the rear leg/hip relationship.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid