HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Looks like something that came off of the mothership. It came out of Area 51, I heard. Someday they might return with the blueprint to hitting. lol 🤔
Are you calling me an alien? Not sure if I should be pleased by that or not..

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I don't believe hands put enough torque into the bat to make a material difference. I think @pattar alluded to that and showed free body diagram showing the forces (well not the actual forces, but generally the force imbalance between upper and lower hand required to rotate the bat) that would be necessary to get angular acceleration of the bat.

The problem is that the hands in this orientation (one right on top of the other) would be terrible for creating enough angular acceleration to be useful in a swing to hit a ball far. It seems pretty obvious that in terms of physics, accelerating the bat with a force at the bottom of the bat (where the hands are) in a perpedicular orientation of the axis of the bat would produce way more "whip".

Jun 8, 2016
I don't believe hands put enough torque into the bat to make a material difference. I think @pattar alluded to that and showed free body diagram showing the forces (well not the actual forces, but generally the force imbalance between upper and lower hand required to rotate the bat) that would be necessary to get angular acceleration of the bat.

The problem is that the hands in this orientation (one right on top of the other) would be terrible for creating enough angular acceleration to be useful in a swing to hit a ball far. It seems pretty obvious that in terms of physics, accelerating the bat with a force at the bottom of the bat (where the hands are) in a perpedicular orientation of the axis of the bat would produce way more "whip".
Nobody is saying the hands alone cause the angular acceleration (I don’t think). The only question is do they aid in this initially or are they torqued later in the process. My point was that you can direct AND torque initially..they are not mutually exclusive. In reality the body pull will add to that bottom hand force so it will always be much larger than the top hand pull (if there is one)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug