Hitting the Low pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2013
I am looking for some confirmation (or rebuttal) about how I teach hitting the low pitch. I teach staying tall, strong, full rotation of course, and throwing the bat head down to the ball. I ran into a coach that wants the kids to bend or crouch down to get the low pitch, lowering the head and shoulders. Very little on youtube I found: one video I found supports my idea but another shows Pablo Sandoval getting the head clearly lower and getting extra tilt of the shoulders down. That video has given me a just a little bit of doubt on how i teach it. Just trying to get it right for my players. What you think?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
getting extra tilt of the shoulders down.

Generally speaking, the lower the pitch, the lower the rear shoulder will become.

1t62xg.gif

ei8qzb.gif

Jun 12, 2015
I don't have much technical knowledge on hitting but my kid loves low pitches for some reason. If she watches a strike go by these days it's usually a high pitch. She pops those up almost every time. But she can clobber the low ones, and she does not bend down squat down, whatever to hit them. Her swing looks basically the same but she swings lower, angling the bat downwards more if that makes sense. So basically she does what everyone is saying is the right way (yay). It really doesn't make sense to me that you'd lower your whole body down to hit a low pitch anyway - wouldn't you lose a lot of power that way?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I love it when a parent yells at a girl who has just took a good hack at a low pitch and yells" stop golfing" "swing level". and i yell, 'keep golfing".

the girls that love low pitches, are the ones that are not crouching, and swinging level.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
What did Ted say:
ScienceofHittinggraphicP67Custom2.jpg

I'm kidding...not something I would teach nor instruct above.

MannHandPathLow.gif

Miggy_Side_ST.gif

Video_Hitting_MannyRamirez_1B_HR_ToLF_LowPitch_2009NLCSGM1_SSMO_SF.gif

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
kids who drop there hands tend to love low pitches. You can see why after watching the gif's above it's more "natural" for them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez