Hitting the Low pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Kids who use their hands well also like low pitches.

...And can hit the high in the zone pitches. Kids who drop their hands( on all pitches) will struggle with the high in the zone pitches.
Remember kids....'hands above the ball'.
PandaSwingLaunch.gif

PandaBarrelLaunch.gif

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Guess I'm the contrarian here. I will tell them to start rotation first, then if they see it's a low pitch bend or tilt over their bellybuttons a little to attack it. That seems to work better than telling them to lower their back shoulder, because they usually drop backwards (toward the catcher) and then have trouble getting to the ball properly. They end up sitting back a lot.

How much? Only as much as they need to. If that.

Jun 7, 2013
There's no doubt in my mind that you have to adjust downwards (legs, shoulders & hands) on the lower pitches. You want to make sure that you don't hit the top of it and drive it into the ground. Instead you want to hit it level or a little upwards trying for a line drive. I am probably not as sophisticated as some of the hitting coaches here but I am not able to successfully coach this adjustment. However, I've seen it come naturally with some work. The adjustment seems to vary with the individual's build, strength, and hitting style.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I keep an eye on the rear leg usage. Some hitters don't bend the rear leg but, instead 'lock out' the rear leg.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I think you just rotate your barrel into the path of the pitch so that the sweet part of the bat is in the path of the pitch as long as possible.

Sep 17, 2009
Tell/show them *behind and through*. Practice very low tee until they can hit "rising" liners to the back of the cage. Let them learn the right amount of tilt naturally via that result.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Tell/show them *behind and through*. Practice very low tee until they can hit "rising" liners to the back of the cage. Let them learn the right amount of tilt naturally via that result.

That's what I did with the DD. Adjust as need until the hitter gets the results, rising line drives the goal.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
We use a golf club to hit whiffle balls. The low/low inside pitch used to be a big hole in lil DDs zone but lately she has been getting some good hits with balls in these locations.

[video]https://youtu.be/J_0ZbWlOigQ[/video]

ian

Jun 11, 2015
We use a golf club to hit whiffle balls. The low/low inside pitch used to be a big hole in lil DDs zone but lately she has been getting some good hits with balls in these locations.

[video]https://youtu.be/J_0ZbWlOigQ[/video]

Nice stroke.

P dodged a bullet there.

Jan 12, 2016
I'm just glad to see this thread, because we see Umpires all the time that call strikes at the shoe-laces!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619