Hitting Questions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
I understand females have acl issues. I'm saying men should be vertically loading with primarily a dead lift type tilt with knees bending to support that for hitting. Is that what you are saying women should do as well?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Women must bend at the waist first before bending at the knees. Men do not have to do this. You see men with more of an erect upper body. Try this little test. Stand with your back against a wall erect. Take a women and try the same thing. They cannot do it, due to the curvature of the spin. It's the anantomy difference due to having to give birth. It puts stress on the knees if they do not bend first at the waist.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
This is similar to the way I like to do the 1 arm back arm tip and rip and then one arm walkup tip and rip mentioned earlier in the thread.

I prefer a 3 step karaoke walkup starting with stepping in with the front foot then stepping behind the front foot with the back foot then front foot again. Focus on "palm up extension" throught contact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 17, 2008
This is similar to the way I like to do the 1 arm back arm tip and rip and then one arm walkup tip and rip mentioned earlier in the thread.

I don't recall ever laughing harder in my life.

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Tom, sorry to see you take the abuse doled out here. All I see you do is talking hitting and trying to be helpful. Yes, we could go back to lead arm/shoulder pulling/dragging the bat through the zone, sticking the butt out and bending over, and turn , baby, turn....but that has been tried and found severely wanting. And not what I see in ML swings.

As a HS softball coach I am teaching the ML swing to my players. And as Marcus is fond of saying, "let slo-mo video of the best be your truth detector" and "compare anything someone tells you to slo-mo video of ML hitters." But you can only see what you are capable of seeing. I see something entirely different than Mark and the PCR followers. And I don't need to post any of my players to show you (which I would not do anyway) what I'm talking about. Look at the best ML hitters and you will see a completely different hitting pattern than Setpro/EH promotes. It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Thankfully, highly successful D1 coaches like UL-L's Mike Loteif, mentioned here earlier in the thread, do not go down the road of a Setpro/Englishbey hitting approach.

Carry on the great work, Tom. :D

Mike

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06