Hitting Questions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Tom, she doesn't need to do anything else. Quickness is acute with this pattern. She throws over 60 mph from 3rd to first in 2/3rds of a second from release........Approx. 60 feet away considering shuffle action.........

She isn't an overhand pitcher, and she isn't an outfielder.......

Stick to pitching.........

Nice example from BM of similar loading in throwing overhand and swinging:

Baseball Fever - View Single Post - Fundamental Swing Q&As

I like the step behind with the back/posting foot to encourage getting closed/sideways like this infielder does.

The main thing she needs to work on in throwing is getting more closed and getting/keeping the front shoulder up more while keeping the lead arm better INternally rotated as/after the stride foot comes down.

Improving throwing arm action will likewise improve sequence in swinging.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
She is leaving velocity and control/consistency/reliability of release and lower joint stress all on the table. WIth better lead arm/scap action that all improves together without giving up any quickness.

Will help her swing too.

Jul 14, 2008
She is leaving velocity and control/consistency/reliability of release and lower joint stress all on the table. WIth better lead arm/scap action that all improves together without giving up any quickness.

Will help her swing too.

Ya ok Tom. She's gone. Outta my hands so to speak.........

Look, bottom line is IF your journey with your daughters include Bran*** and the Blue Angels, I can understand why you're skeptical about girls learning to throw..........or hit.........

Players don't receive D1 NLI's throwing like "girls"..........:cool:

Oct 29, 2008
Look, bottom line is IF your journey with your daughters include Bran*** and the Blue Angels, I can understand why you're skeptical about girls learning to throw..........or hit.........

BM:

Can't blame Tom for sending his daughters to a private school. Even if they did have a poor softball team.

The Blue Angels WAS a bad choice, but a local club team. Probably made sense at the time.

Those decisions aren't my issue. As I have stated many times, my issue is that Tom refuses to work with a student of any kind NOW. But instead, expects everyone to just accept that all of his theories will help their kid hit. And he has no idea - he can't have.

I've tried a lot of things working with young hitters. I know you have, too. Probably, you're like me, in that you've made some serious mistakes along the way. But learned from them, too. Consequently, I GENERALLY have better results now then in the past. This would have been impossible without many, many hours of working "on the field."

And I have competed against and on a couple of occasions worked with hitters whom you have influenced. And I know what you are capable of.

I also know that your pitcher daughter still holds many school records at the D-1 she played for.

Your field experience offers even more credibility than your persuasive video and textual presentations. You describe things very well, and illustrate them very well. That's great. But I have also seen you DO them very well, actually working with kids. That is REALLY great.

The day Tom actually works with some kids - which I assume we'll both know about, since we live in the same area - and posts some evidence of success, along with some admissions of failure and re-evaluation, is the day I'll begin to take him more seriously.

Emphasis on the failure and re-learn stuff. NO ONE navigates this minefield without significant growth / change of belief.

Regards,

Scott

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Scott-

Welcome back.

Is this what you want to discuss ?

"Can't blame Tom for sending his daughters to a private school. Even if they did have a poor softball team.

"The Blue Angels WAS a bad choice, but a local club team. Probably made sense at the time."

I wold like to see you get back to your usual standard of technical writing and content.

Oct 29, 2008
Is this what you want to discuss ?

"Can't blame Tom for sending his daughters to a private school. Even if they did have a poor softball team.

"The Blue Angels WAS a bad choice, but a local club team. Probably made sense at the time."

I wold like to see you get back to your usual standard of technical writing and content.

I think I covered a number of points in my post above.

And care little what your expectations of me are.

I would like to see YOU go work with some kids, and see what is successful actually teaching them to hit.

You are equally ambivalent to my opinion, so there we are.

I will comply with your apparent request to NOT offer an (admittedly) mild defense of you, even in areas such as the modestly personal one above. No worries, happy to comply.

Jul 14, 2008
Tom, I appologize if you think I was "too close" to home. That wasn't meant as a slam. I was serious. YOU HAVE NOT been in touch with the world of HIGH LEVEL SOFTBALL.........

Your constant wriling of how "girls aren't taught high level mechanics" is out of touch with the reality of what it takes to compete with the likes of Gary Hannings Teams.........

You MUST TEACH high level mechanics to throw out a lefty bunter/slapper who is under 2.7 sec. to 1st...........Like those at the highest level. Low level mechanics WILL NOT FLY at the levels we play......

Example: My teams faced the likes of Tasha Watley 3 times in Boulder with Chambrones So Cal A's. She ran all over us the first year. Believe me, as a coach, you quickly figure out that LOW LEVEL mechanics just can't compete.

Furthermore, you cannot "sit and spin" and be successful against the pitching my hitters have faced, including Finch, Freed, Osterman, Abbott, Voke, Forrest, Martinez, Hollowell, Seldon, and a pleathera of others. Keep in mind, these kids where throwing from 40 ft just a few years ago..........You wanna try hitting Freed, Finch, Abbott Or Jelly Seldon striding to 35 feet at release? That is true reality out from behind the "screen" so to speak.

My point is, (and it's not a cut, just reality), you really have NO idea, especially from your limited background IN THIS GAME..........

LOW LEVEL MECHANICS JUST WON'T FLY at this level.

Turning the barrel/rotating the triangle and hitting a 56 MPH beer league pitcher from 46 feet just doesn't cut the mustard as proof of what it takes to hit the kids I'm talking about........I KNOW, I've tried it......

Scott is well aware that I seriously considered Richard's "Swivel/Triangle/Arc it Rearward/Launch and spend stuff". Believe me, I quickly found out what happened at MY LEVEL, not his.......And it wasn't good........

The proof is in the pudding, as far as I'm concerned. IF that crap was the holy grail, his student would've seen a hell of lot more at bats.......It's just that simple........

Remember, while we may be anonomous to others, we are NOT anonomous to each other.......That's why I'm confused when you use stuff like: "BM in the johnny" when refering to me with your collegues..........

Best regards.........

John

BM-

I would encourage you to keep the personal out of the discussions here.

Maybe BBF would be good for that or some other site.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
BM-

Thanks for the reply, very dedicated posting during super bowl.

I would say you and Hanning and most travel and even college coaches have no CLUE how to teach the mechanics of overhand throw or swing.

You can recruit the kids who can do it and you can avoid messing them up worse than other but that is about it.

You ARE able to teach pitching well. Imagine if you developed the same proficiency in teaching the swing or throw mechanics underlying hitting and defense.

Parents beware.

"high level" softball is about recruiting the right kid at the right time.

it is rarely about developing kids basic skills like throw hit. It is just sink or swim and far too many kids drown because of the lack of knowledge.

If you can get past your ego, look at Nymans or Wolforth's stuff or Hodge if you can find it and there is an opportunity for you to help more kids and get a competitive edge as well.

Go LMU.

Jul 14, 2008
The Cards don't stand a chance........:D

I would say......Hanning and most travel and even college coaches have no CLUE how to teach the mechanics of overhand throw or swing..............If you can get past your ego..............

I hope people read your statement for what it is.........It was actually very funny........

FYI, statistics for Northern California teams show that over 90% of players stay with the same team for over 3 years Tom........

And for programs such as ours who support teams at multiple age levels, over 80% of players spend 5 years in the same organization. The turn over rate is LESS then 3 players per season........Except of course in the fall where rosters can grow to 20 or more players.........

Turn over of the 15 player core roster is mostly due to playing time issues..........

Your information is HUGELY flawed...........And people who are actually IN THIS GAME know it.......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00