Hitting Mechanics - The Myths

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Remove the pitcher to learn timing the ball. then add the pitcher back in. Remove the pitcher again then add the pitcher back in. Repeat , Repeat...
It works to learn timing the ball , the focus changes to the ball where it should be.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
We gotta get em timing the ball, not the pitcher.

Get them stretching it and releasing it. Not loading, pausing and swinging. If I am stretching the system I can release it when ever I want. If I stretch it, pause and swing, it will be a timing nightmare.

Jun 18, 2010
Get them stretching it and releasing it. Not loading, pausing and swinging. If I am stretching the system I can release it when ever I want. If I stretch it, pause and swing, it will be a timing nightmare.

Hyp, what and where are you stretching? Where do you feel it?

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Hyp, what and where are you stretching? Where do you feel it?

The rear lower back, rear hip, up the rear obliques to the hands. That is why, IMHO, you need to resist letting the back shoulder to drop. The rear hip will suck the rear shoulder down but the resisting of the shoulder coming down creates the tightness earlier and maintains it throughout the swing.

Maybe stretch is a bad word but it gives the visual of suddenness on release.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
The rear lower back, rear hip, up the rear obliques to the hands. That is why, IMHO, you need to resist letting the back shoulder to drop. The rear hip will suck the rear shoulder down but the resisting of the shoulder coming down creates the tightness earlier and maintains it throughout the swing.

Maybe stretch is a bad word but it gives the visual of suddenness on release.

I think the word "drop" is being manipulated here. While I agree with what you are describing, but I still see the shoulder "dropping." It's just a matter of how and when it happened.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think the word "drop" is being manipulated here. While I agree with what you are describing, but I still see the shoulder "dropping." It's just a matter of how and when it happened.

For me, the word "drop" gives the impression that it's either an active move, or it's due to a release of tension. (IMO, YMMV)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
For me, the word "drop" gives the impression that it's either an active move, or it's due to a release of tension. (IMO, YMMV)

That's what I think--it's not just an active move. It can also be used to describe what happens as a result.

The context I was using it in the beginning of this thread was this.... "Don't (let) your shoulder drop. Keep your shoulders level (through your swing)."

I say this is, in fact, a MYTH.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
That's what I think--it's not just an active move. It can also be used to describe what happens as a result.

The context I was using it in the beginning of this thread was this.... "Don't (let) your shoulder drop. Keep your shoulders level (through your swing)."

Just tell those folks "it isn't dropping, it's getting pulled down by an awesome rear side drive!"

May 24, 2013
So Cal

What?? We're going to talk about the original topic again??!!

;)

It seems that a few people are saying that the hitter should actually TRY to keep the rear shoulder up. Not that the hitter should actually succeed in doing so throughout the entire swing, but the resistance of trying to keep the shoulder up, against the rotation of the hip trying to pull it down, is a good thing. IMO, to perform this properly, the instructor has to keep careful watch on how it's being executed. Without proper instruction, a hitter can easily interpret "don't let the shoulder drop" into a DBSF pattern.

I guess my point is that the cue has applications where it could be useful with certain hitters.

I certainly agree that actually keeping the shoulders level throughout the swing is a significant flaw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole