Hitting Mechanics - The Myths

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
I think the C drawn has influenced my perception.
SP__BarrelPath_Cabrera_001_R.gif

and this also:

One thing to keep in mind is that it is a titled "C" (when looked at from the front, maybe 60 degrees of "tilt").

Also, the graphic is misleading because in both diagrams the bats are almost parallel (flat) to the ground, when in reality the barrel of the bat will be well below the hands on most pitches when the barrel is in the hitting zone.

IMO, the concept of "tilt" is very important when trying to understand and create a good swing path.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
She shouldn't start her swing so soon. Slower pitcher = start later. You shouldn't have towait unless it is off speed or change up....

It sounds so simple, and
Yet for
Her it is like
Asking
Her knee not
To react
During a reflex
Test. Excuse caps and returns. Phone is doing it on its own. Did not mean this to look like a poem

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Learn to time the ball. (Not so simple I know) When doing front toss I sprinkle in change ups. I correct as needed.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Get a bat you don't care about and use a pitching machine. Don't show any wind up or give any indication that a pitch is coming. Make them time the "ball".
If they have a pre-swing routine have them go through it before you let the ball go. Randomly change the speed on the machine a few miles per hour.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Get a bat you don't care about and use a pitching machine. Don't show any wind up or give any indication that a pitch is coming. Make them time the "ball".
If they have a pre-swing routine have them go through it before you let the ball go. Randomly change the speed on the machine a few miles per hour.

Bad idea IMO.

You don't learn to "time the ball" by removing the ability to "time the pitcher".

Both periods need to exist ... "timing the pitcher" and "timing the ball". They are both important.

The "timing of the pitcher" leads to a correct start to "timing the ball".

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Not to sure about this suggestion. I believe a hitter still needs to time a pitchers motion up untill release. Then after release a hitter then has too time the ball.

Edit what FFS said also^^^^

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Regarding the two portions .... "timing the pitcher" and "timing the ball" ..... it is the 'start' of "timing of the ball" that is clearly defined. You 'begin' the sequence of "timing the ball" when the ball is 'released' (... and many cheat that and begin the sequence just prior to release).

A hitter being instructed to "swing later" often interprets this instruction as "start the sequence later" ... and if they start the "timing of the ball" sequence later then they have placed themselves at a huge disadvantage to dealing with the pitcher. In a very real sense, a hitter facing a slow pitcher can look silly if they don't understand these basics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole