Hitting Guru

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Hitters with a plan will beat the pitchers to the fyb hitting position to cover there zone.. Once 2 strikes occur the plan is aborted which is why batting averages suffer.

XlWk2E8.gif

Notice the barrel depth and leverage of all available resources to direct and whip the barrel.

lZgSbZT.gif

Sep 7, 2017
Thoughts on Teacherman and Latta? I like some of both but not sure who is correct. The more I learn it seems the more confused I get. LOL

Rich is the most confusing guy in the hitting world.

He has conflicting teachings for sure

He teaches a swivel and a laser up the ball. I have told him that the move is a blended move and a swivel is not a SNAP!

He says you never uncoil, which is ridiculous and then says you uncoil when you pick your foot up to move out.

He says you never uncoil but take your belly button to the pitcher. He says you never uncoil but he wants the torso facing the pitcher asap

I don't think rich has ever lost his rotational teachings. He is very difficult to follow and he teaches LOT of the things that Epstein teaches. Epstein is the original! IMO he is the best!

Rich has taken OTHER PEOPLES works, doctored it up with semantics and stupid hip slide and femur talk, HIS TEACHING DOES NOT WORK WITH YOUNGER KIDS.

That being said he is a good content creator and a tireless worker. I think his SNAP is a very very bad teach for kids.

His teachings are scattered and incomplete

And hes a jack rear also!

Latta is different than Rich but I see him creeping towards some of the same things rich teaches, Rich has gotten a lot of attention as of late.

Both work with several pros.

I would recommend Stance Doctor or Jake Epstein! I would never recommend Rich! He has no patience and he is awful with communication! He also has created site after site and abandoned the site or had a falling out with partners. Now hes on to his 3rd attempt at online content with WD

That's my thoughts

Sep 7, 2017
I don’t care to dispute it but, I just don’t see TMs pull-back or his gears meshing with JTs swing. I don’t see a turn the barrel path. I don’t see him stay back and tilt. Aren’t those the three main components of TMs system?

Imo. TM is the ONLY guru who believes what he does.

Every other guru has their specifics, but come pretty close to what they think is correct hitting mechanics. Maybe just different muscle groups which power these mechanics.

They all believe in shift before swinging. They believe in hand path and ‘long through’ the zone. TM does not. He believes the shift is the swing and ‘deep’ in the zone.

Not saying TMs stuff doesn’t work. It’s just not the MLB HOF sequence. It’s not what Barry, Albert and Griffey did. Or what Trout, Betts and Yelich do. Jmho.

Well you cant have an opinion until you know what you are saying, No offense

Not one of those guys believe shift before swing, That's a loss of power or a bleed forward. You are not even close in your comments!

( MAYBE MY " THEY " IS ISNT THE SAME AS YOUR " THEY " )

TM claims that he matches Barry. He claims his son does also, now that's a laugh. He doesn't match and his son dang sure doesn't. However he believes the pattern he teaches is a match

I ve never seen a guy besides TM swing and darn near fall down EVERY TIME he swings and call that a match of Barry Bonds. Its comical really!

Most all agree that the load is the swing! Most agree that you shift and swing and NOT shift then swing!

My biggest critisicm is he thinks a swivel is the same as SNAP or rearward barrel. I would never ever focus on rearward barrel. But he changes daily. Now his focus is to swing down. Or 12-6 with a tilted clock! lol! Yea hes outsmarting himself to try and separate himself from what guys like Epstein have been teaching for YEARS.

Sep 7, 2017
Ive seen less experienced guys teaching this TM crap and its down right pitiful

You have a bunch of 10 year olds dumping rearward and tilting backwards and hitting the ball to the ceiling. It simply is not good for kids...NOT AT ALL.

TM believes in a forced tilt. I do not!

Sep 7, 2017
TM believes that the hip doesn't rotate , but no more than a couple years ago he was stressing hip thrust!

I would not recommend TM

I would however recommend watching him for some of his content! He is a good content creator but he is very conflicting and scattered around. He is a god follow for anyone who has a good understanding of hitting. Meaning you can be educated enough to weed out the garbage and get to some of the good stuff!

Sep 7, 2017
All of that being said. Rich is 10000000000 x better than that Howard Carrier garbage that is STILL being taught today!

I am of the opinion the Epstein is the guy with the most credibility, professionalism and years under his belt!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I would recommend Stance Doctor...

My DD's hitting instructor shared a Stance Doctor video with me today. There was very little in the video that I agreed with. DD's HI and I shared the same opinion. That said, he might have other information that is valuable for some people.

Sep 7, 2017
Stance doctor is an Epstein guy, All ive seen from him is things I agree with.

I have had several conversations with him , Id be interested in what video you are talking about

If you are sold on HI then there are differences

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Stance doctor is an Epstein guy, All ive seen from him is things I agree with.

I have had several conversations with him , Id be interested in what video you are talking about

If you are sold on HI then there are differences

The only one I've seen was talking about turning back farther to generate more power - turn back, turn forward. That idea works for golf when there isn't a timing component, but not for baseball/softball. My biggest issue is that it's instruction that leads to rotation of the swing around the spine - turn harder! - which I don't agree with.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Well you cant have an opinion until you know what you are saying, No offense

Not one of those guys believe shift before swing, That's a loss of power or a bleed forward. You are not even close in your comments!

( MAYBE MY " THEY " IS ISNT THE SAME AS YOUR " THEY " )

TM claims that he matches Barry. He claims his son does also, now that's a laugh. He doesn't match and his son dang sure doesn't. However he believes the pattern he teaches is a match

I ve never seen a guy besides TM swing and darn near fall down EVERY TIME he swings and call that a match of Barry Bonds. Its comical really!

Most all agree that the load is the swing! Most agree that you shift and swing and NOT shift then swing!

My biggest critisicm is he thinks a swivel is the same as SNAP or rearward barrel. I would never ever focus on rearward barrel. But he changes daily. Now his focus is to swing down. Or 12-6 with a tilted clock! lol! Yea hes outsmarting himself to try and separate himself from what guys like Epstein have been teaching for YEARS.

Look up Lattas videos. He believes in getting to a 50/50 position at foot down, before swinging the bat. That would be a shift wouldn’t it?

Wallenbrock, my personal favorite believes the same. The body cannot stay back and hit very well. That’s TMs stuff.

So it’s shift before swing. Imo there are 3 shifts. Back leg, middle, front leg.

As far as Epstein. Hopefully he has revised. His deltoid pull-off, dead hands mechanics back in 2014 weren’t very good. As far as I know, he keeps all his stuff private. He HAD his chance to really create a monopoly as far as hitting instruction but the deltoid drill was his down fall. His system was incomplete.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06