Hitting Guru

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Thoughts on Teacherman and Latta? I like some of both but not sure who is correct. The more I learn it seems the more confused I get. LOL

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Different approaches, with some similarities.

My suggestion...Learn from everyone you can, and trust what makes sense to you. Your vision of the swing may change over time as you continue to educate yourself. Don't just go by their words. Pick up a bat at try to feel it for yourself. Some things will make sense in your own body, some won't. Some may take a while to figure out. Keep learning.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Just watch a video where Latta does this swing drill where the hitter kicks with his rear leg as he launches his/her swing. Looks weird but I tried it and it does get hitter to activate glute and not spin or squish the bug. Just watch JD martinez and do what he does. LOL

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If we are comparing the two.. they are on opposites sides of the spectrum. TM believes in 1 leg and turning the barrel. Latta believes in 2 legs and a straight hand path. TM believes in backing the ball up. Latta believes in hitting more out front.

If you try to mesh them, it will be detrimental.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Both agree on...
The rear leg controlling the move forward.
The swing shifting the weight to the front side (differences on where the weight is at launch).
Getting the barrel on plane early.

Yeah. But not really. I think everyone agrees the final shift, shifts the weight to the frontside. TM says the entire shift is the swing. Much much different.Latta has his players shift to the middle before swinging and finishing their shift.

Latta believes in getting the hands on plane early. Not the barrel. Another big difference.

They both like to keep the back leg/hip relationship intact until launch. Again I think most agree on that. How they both achieve that is another big difference.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yeah. But not really. I think everyone agrees the final shift, shifts the weight to the frontside. TM says the entire shift is the swing. Much much different.Latta has his players shift to the middle before swinging and finishing their shift.

Latta believes in getting the hands on plane early. Not the barrel. Another big difference.

They both like to keep the back leg/hip relationship intact until launch. Again I think most agree on that. How they both achieve that is another big difference.

Definitely differences between them. I don't find them as polar-opposite as you do, apparently.

I like a lot of what Latta has to say, for sure. It's interesting, though. When I watch the swing of his poster-boy, Justin Turner, through the words of Latta, I see what Latta is talking about. When I watch JT through the words of TM, I see what TM is talking about.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Definitely differences between them. I don't find them as polar-opposite as you do, apparently.

I like a lot of what Latta has to say, for sure. It's interesting, though. When I watch the swing of his poster-boy, Justin Turner, through the words of Latta, I see what Latta is talking about. When I watch JT through the words of TM, I see what TM is talking about.

I don’t care to dispute it but, I just don’t see TMs pull-back or his gears meshing with JTs swing. I don’t see a turn the barrel path. I don’t see him stay back and tilt. Aren’t those the three main components of TMs system?

Imo. TM is the ONLY guru who believes what he does.

Every other guru has their specifics, but come pretty close to what they think is correct hitting mechanics. Maybe just different muscle groups which power these mechanics.

They all believe in shift before swinging. They believe in hand path and ‘long through’ the zone. TM does not. He believes the shift is the swing and ‘deep’ in the zone.

Not saying TMs stuff doesn’t work. It’s just not the MLB HOF sequence. It’s not what Barry, Albert and Griffey did. Or what Trout, Betts and Yelich do. Jmho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K