Hit or Error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I think all can agree that the slow roller is almost always a given hit in SB.

However, if you are using the other example as a motivator for the defense, then it won't work (a hit should be motivation enough), or is this to fix the pitcher's or batter's stats? I am not sure the scorekeeper should get involved with whether a player, who did not touch the ball, made the 'wrong effort' or was standing up when should be low, or even if she is standing in the 'wrong' place or was not ready. I don't carry my scorekeeping to that level, would drive me mad....

I would also proffer that reaction time or skill (Visual skill?!) is part of "reasonable effort" in softball and sometimes if you fail to react initially, it does not matter what else you do.

So I am not sure what the OP is trying to do with this call....

But...As SoCal_Dad implied, the SK is charged to assess whether the fielder made ordinary effort. That is a relative judgement decision that varies by age level and skill level.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
How do you score a hit ball that is a slow roller or routine ground ball that goes on either side of an infielder and is not touched by the infielder? I understand if a ball goes through the legs it's an error. Would you score this a hit or error? Thanks.

It is a hit under NFCA and NCAA guidelines.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/v...-atec-beyond-the-basics-of-scoring-fastpitch-
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Softball/softball easy print stats manual.pdf

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
How do you score a hit ball that is a slow roller or routine ground ball that goes on either side of an infielder and is not touched by the infielder? I understand if a ball goes through the legs it's an error. Would you score this a hit or error? Thanks.

Yesterday in Tucson I watched Arizona third baseman Lauren Young rip an absolute screamer line drive that first hit the ground right between the Drake third baseman's feet. It was hi so hard, the Drake fielder barely had time to move her glove. She might have moved it from set at her waist four inches down. Scorekeeper ruled it a hit.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
M2C...Unless the fielder attempted to field the ball and dropped it, bobbled it or made an errant throw after fielding it cleanly.. It should be scored a hit. Just because a fielder is slow to get to it or was caught off guard by it does not make it an error. Just because a fielder made an effort and never touched it also does not make it an error. Think about it...If a fielder lays out for a ball that is hard hit in a gap would that be an error? No. We would all say great hit and great effort on the fielders part. We are just more impressed with the POWER of the hard hit as opposed to the strategic placement or a slower hit ball exposing a gap or a slow roller designed to create pressure on a defense and see what it exposes.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
You have to be careful too with the player’s abilities. Just because it is a routine play for Ozzie Smith does not mean it is for another player. I do think you do lean heavily on it’s a hit side of it.

I’m not familiar with the SB rules. Is there anything in them about “Ordinary Effort” like there is in OBR? If so, the ability of the player has absolutely nothing to do with any individual. It’s all about the AVERAGE player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1