Hips or the Hands or both simultaneously(lets keep it simple)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2019
NC
The lead upper arm is being put on plane ....

image458.gif

http://number9hitting.com/index_files/image458.gif

When you reference lead arm on plane does that include the knob of the bat as well?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It's why I continue to use Mudder's cue of hitting with the rear hip several years after he shared it. I promote timing the ball with the torso/hips ... and MB's cue helps young hitters get used to that mentality.

Back hip/direction seems to lose the link to the ground imo. I’m more in the core pulling the back hip into action type guy aka Scissor swing. But ultimately it’s the hands/arms that adjust to the pitch. Which has the core pull to whichever location needed.

Just like the hands, front hand direction, back hand power. I am of the notion that directions are set with the frontside(pitcher side) of the body and the backside is the power supplier in my mind. Which is all powered by the torso/hips.

To each his own.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, I am uncertain of which particular comments that I made that you are asking about.

These...

I tend to look at it this way ....

On an outside pitch the "torso" is later in "time", with the 'hands' earlier in the 'swing'.

On an inside pitch the "torso" is earlier in "time", with the 'hands later in the 'swing'.

You had also commented earlier about the torso working vertically (I can't find the exact post, so I might be wording it differently than you did.)

EDIT: Found it...
Some look at this and see the hips being rotated horizontally and causing the torso to become rotated.

Others look at this and see a torso movement that is not horizontal that is causing the hips to become rotated horizontally.

I guess you didn't say "vertical", but rather "not horizontal".

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Back hip/direction seems to lose the link to the ground imo. I’m more in the core pulling the back hip into action type guy aka Scissor swing. But ultimately it’s the hands/arms that adjust to the pitch. Which has the core pull to whichever location needed.

Just like the hands, front hand direction, back hand power. I am of the notion that directions are set with the frontside(pitcher side) of the body and the backside is the power supplier in my mind. Which is all powered by the torso/hips.

To each his own.

Again, when I say hip I also mean the supporting muscles and body parts...

Thanks Ww. If the Front hip/side sets the direction, and back hip/side only provides the power, how does the hitter determine how much the hips rotate depending on pitch location. I get a better feeling and control for it when I think of the back hip driving towards wherever the ball crosses the plate(inside or outside). Once that front side opens up I'm not sure how to control over rotating (pulling body off the ball) unless there is some control on the backside in regard to direction setting.

Apr 11, 2015
I see the confusion.

Over the years I came to better appreciate Jim Dixon SR's description of the torso.

I include the hips as part of the torso.

For the most part I go with Jim Dixon Sr's usage ...

Jim Dixon Sr: Take off the shoulders and the arms, the neck, head, and the legs from the crotch down and call what's left the Torso. The Torso includes the back, sides, stomach, buttocks, chest, and upper thighs.
Same as 5. I haven’t read Dixon. But that’s my definition as well.
OK, thank you for that. The "upper thighs" in the medical world that I came from as a FD medic for years are never included in the clinical definition of the "torso", but as long as it's explained that they *are* in the definition that you're using I'm OK with that...just as long as we're all talking about the same thing(s) in the discussions.

Just as a side note, can you see though how even Dixon contradicts himself with the two sentences? "Take off the....legs from the crotch down and call what's left the Torso" - the picture I posted - but then he includes "upper thighs" which then leaves the femoral head, and proximal femur intact, and not shown in that "generally accept" torso image.

But again, I'm fine with using the "hips" (acetabulum and femoral head) as part of the "torso" in our discussions moving forward when reading here...but please forgive me in advance if down the road a piece I forget, and revert back to my way too ingrained training after so many years...so many years ago (IOWs a gentle reminder might be necessary in the future). LOL!! :D

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks Ww, I agree the backside releases, but to me it makes sense to release into the direction of the pitch location with the back hip being the reference point as to where it's going to release

It just might do that. But in a reactive way. I am a rotate ‘on a line’ guy remember. It’s really about getting ‘all’ the energies going towards the field. I think of it as ‘out to’ not left or right. But straight on a line towards the field.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors