Hips or the Hands or both simultaneously(lets keep it simple)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Back hip/direction seems to lose the link to the ground imo. I’m more in the core pulling the back hip into action type guy aka Scissor swing. But ultimately it’s the hands/arms that adjust to the pitch. Which has the core pull to whichever location needed.

Just like the hands, front hand direction, back hand power. I am of the notion that directions are set with the frontside(pitcher side) of the body and the backside is the power supplier in my mind. Which is all powered by the torso/hips.

To each his own.
For what it's worth, the *idea* of "hitting the ball with your rear hip" does not preclude one from the "Scissor swing" type leg/hip action further on down the kinetic chained...after the swing is launched.

The "hitting the ball with your rear hip" cue is much earlier in the swing as a "directional" movement response as the hitter is reading the pitch location, and turning the hips (and now I can say "torso" per Dixon) earlier on the inside pitch, and later on the outside pitch. Very similar to the much older hitter term or expression of "turn your belly button to the ball" or where it's pitched.

The only reason I changed from belly button to rear hip, was that I was seeing too many kids turning their belly button with their shoulders, and hips simultaneously, and doing basically this....
OyFgaOG.gif

...to find direction, rather than letting the lower half find it first, and the upper half to make the finer, micro-adjustments to the ball as the swing is launched.

After the swing is launched, the momentum of now everything moving forward into, and through the ball can still have some hitters "Scissoring" with their legs if that's their style, and others not coming forward as much, and appearing to hitter off of, or more on the backside if you will.

Trout I see as more of a "Scissor" hitter if you will, and Bonds more as a "backside" hitter to define the differences in "style" of the two mentioned.
37k7EP1.gif
4KGqpw4.gif

Hope that makes some sense.

May 12, 2016
It just might do that. But in a reactive way. I am a rotate ‘on a line’ guy remember. It’s really about getting ‘all’ the energies going towards the field. I think of it as ‘out to’ not left or right. But straight on a line towards the field.

So rotation happens on the same line every time, basically straight back towards the pitcher? And getting to the pitch, outside = extend arms, inside = retract arms, is how you teach it?

May 12, 2016
BTW I really like the scissor style, but I'm not sure how to get the body to react that way in a controlled manner or even how to teach it.

May 12, 2016
Back foot action is a no teach imo..

That may be true Patar, it is a downstream reaction. But why do hitters scissor and others not? That's the key. I see a lot of smaller hitters scissoring as well.. I am wondering if there might be a power source there for a smaller girl like my DD. So regardless if it's a teach or not, what causes the body to react this way and how do you teach this result?

I went down the path of teaching the back foot action btw, "stop squishing the bug". This has hurt my DD's swing for years.... big mistake on my part. Not saying that she should be squishing the bug, but I relied on the back foot action to prevent this from happening.. whoops

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
That may be true Patar, it is a downstream reaction. But why do hitters scissor and others not? That's the key. I see a lot of smaller hitters scissoring as well.. I am wondering if there might be a power source there for a smaller girl like my DD. So regardless if it's a teach or not, what causes the body to react this way and how do you teach this result?

I went down the path of teaching the back foot action btw, "stop squishing the bug". This has hurt my DD's swing for years.... big mistake on my part. Not saying that she should be squishing the bug, but I relied on the back foot action to prevent this from happening.. whoops

I dare you to call Frank small to his face :p

Jun 8, 2016

It is just a style thing. Thome sometimes barely released his back foot at all:

May 12, 2016
LOL, Miggy does it as well, he's not small. :) I might of been generalizing a little too much regarding the small hitters. Altuve, Trout etc

With all due respect I refuse to believe it's just a style thing though.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
LOL, Miggy does it as well, he's not small. :) I might of been generalizing a little too much regarding the small hitters. Altuve, Trout etc

With all due respect I refuse to believe it's just a style thing though.
Do you think Miggy is always a "Scissor" hitter?
Miguel_Cabrera.0.gif
200w.webp
200w.webp

May 12, 2016
No Miggy does not... but regardless, why does he sometimes? The bigger question is what are the advantages.

For you specifically W=w, why do you prefer this scissor type motion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie