Hips or the Hands or both simultaneously(lets keep it simple)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I wouldn't go down the rabbit hole of teaching that regardless..

Also respect is earned no need to respect me :)

Fair enough I will stop respecting you, :)

It's not so much about teaching it, I just want to understand why and if there is an advantage/disadvantage. I've heard W=w mention this several times, which is why I singled him out when asking my questions

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So rotation happens on the same line every time, basically straight back towards the pitcher? And getting to the pitch, outside = extend arms, inside = retract arms, is how you teach it?

It’s a way to keep the front hip closed longer ‘on a line’ so one can generate energy and direction efficiently. Unfortunately the front side always come before the backside. So if the front opens early you know what the back will do.

Teaching it isn’t hard or complicated. It’s just has to be accompanied by a good ‘hitting position’ and ‘free hands’.

May 12, 2016
Bit off topic, but do you guys ever experience days where your DD gets everything what you are trying to teach her, and then the next day everything goes to S#$@ and you swear she wasn't even in the room with you the day before? :)

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks W=w, this is what I was looking for.

In his demo swing he scissors but the game swing they show he does not....;)
He doesn't ever mention anything specifically about scissoring, he just talks about
trying to stay closed (e.g. not actively rotate) and the result of that, his upper body mechanics and
how far he comes up on his toe sometimes results in a scissor movement...

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
In his demo swing he scissors but the game swing they show he does not....;)
He doesn't ever mention anything specifically about scissoring, he just talks about
trying to stay closed (e.g. not actively rotate) and the result of that, his upper body mechanics and
how far he comes up on his toe sometimes results in a scissor movement...

Yes Pattar. His game swing has a mini scissor action. Mainly because of pitch location. It isn’t something your really conscious of. It’s about a ‘dead rear leg’ which should make the hip action more on a straight line. It’s not a power mechanic. It’s for efficiency.

But it will also teach a hitter to use the proper muscles instead of having ‘horizontal’ hips and maybe pulling off pitches. Just some thoughts...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45