High school stats question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
OPS is very accurate, IMO. only thing that most OBP % metrics miss is ROE. it can be a significant number of times a player reaches base and impacts the game. BUT I understand why it's not included in standard measuring.

Jun 20, 2015
i don't disagree, but looking at stats from my 18u fall games, 32 games played, we have 54 ROE. maybe score keeper too tough, maybe not, lots of variables.

But it still can be a real number. LOL

May 17, 2012
Did you just ignore the correlations @Nimrod gave or are you arguing that correlation to runs scored is somehow the wrong statistic to look at to show relevance? If it is the latter than tell us how (statistically) you are determining OBP is a better measure.

I am not arguing anything, they are not my original thoughts. Simply walk through the math of it.

No one thinks that SLG and OBP are equal when it comes to scoring runs. OBP is almost double SLG (I can't recall the exact number, 1.8 maybe). This comes not from me but from the people that wrote Money Ball and "The Book" (how to optimize your batting lineup).

Hell even the Wikipedia page on OPS has a "Criticism" section. These aren't new thoughts.

If you guys have some different math then by all means publish so we can review. There are much better stats to use.

Jun 8, 2016
I am not arguing anything, they are not my original thoughts. Simply walk through the math of it.

No one thinks that SLG and OBP are equal when it comes to scoring runs. OBP is almost double SLG (I can't recall the exact number, 1.8 maybe). This comes not from me but from the people that wrote Money Ball and "The Book" (how to optimize your batting lineup).

Hell even the Wikipedia page on OPS has a "Criticism" section. These aren't new thoughts.

If you guys have some different math then by all means publish so we can review. There are much better stats to use.
@Nimrod showed correlation with runs scored for both MLB and SEC softball. So what measure (eg either the correlation that @Nimrod used or something else) did Moneyball and The Book use to determine that OBP was better than using a combined statistic like OPS? That said, at the end of the day OPS and OBP are close enough (at least when using @Nimrod 's data) that it probably won't make a huge difference.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
i don't disagree, but looking at stats from my 18u fall games, 32 games played, we have 54 ROE. maybe score keeper too tough, maybe not, lots of variables.

But it still can be a real number. LOL
Especially if your reaching means a run scores or the ROE turns into a run itself. In a perfect world, there'd be no ROE but you're putting the ball in play and making them make a play - still should count for something and not be as meaningless as a strikeout or a non-moving out.

Jun 8, 2016
Especially if your reaching means a run scores or the ROE turns into a run itself. In a perfect world, there'd be no ROE but you're putting the ball in play and making them make a play - still should count for something and not be as meaningless as a strikeout or a non-moving out.
GC includes a ROE number..nobody is stopping anybody from using it..lol.

Jun 20, 2015
it is there, just not considered in OBP calculations, unless you specifically changed the settings. My 18u team the ROE is a separate column on hitting stats, and i'm pretty sure it's not used in OBP calc.

Been awhile since I messed with GC myself, but i recall doing it then.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414