High school stats question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
I really don't care - I was happy she was playing. She does bat lead-off on her TB team so they do recognize that she gets on a lot. I was just surprised it was such a shock to him that she had only struck out once. (She struck out once in the fall season of TB against a good pitcher - she saw that pitcher the next day and hit a double off her - she was so happy.) With the other girls on her HS team I don't think she should be batting super high since I do know the other girls are better hitters than her.

But if others say they don't notice really, I guess it's fine. I was curious what coaches do look at when deciding line-ups, etc :) Since for some girls it didn't make sense.
What I look for in line up:
1. OBP + Speed
2. OBP + speed + will take a ball Oppo
3. Average + OBP + more power
4. Power + OBP, ability to drive in runs and smart enough to know there is more than one way.
5. Power and Average protect the 4 hole hitter
6. Power and average + OBP
7. OBP + speed + small ball
8. OBP + speed + small ball
9. Second lead off mindset.

May 17, 2012
Since lineup construction doesn't really matter a lot, I don't put a ton of thought into it.

This is the best answer. Put your best OBP at the top and adjust accordingly (DP/FLEX/EH and courtesy running scenarios).

You aren't picking winning lottery numbers.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I will say - as scorekeeper since I know who does strike out a lot: when you just need the batter to move the runner and they tend to either swing for the fences or strike out - it's frustrating as hell when they strike out. IMO, putting the ball in the play is the one thing you should be thinking of with 2 strikes or at least fouling it off until you get something you can hit. Runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs - you need to get the ball in play somewhere. But ideally not to the 3rd basemen ;)

If you can do it anonymously, post the stats of the top 12 hitters and let folks here give you their batting order based on those stats.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You would be amazed about how little some parents pick up about the game even after their kid has played roughly 500 TB games..😒
Basic rules are still messed up. I’ve heard the bunt touched the plate, it’s foul from a coach who should have known better. I explained it
To him and he said. “Well I’m used to baseball rules.” Then he didn’t believe me when I said that rule is the same in both.

Oct 10, 2018
My biggest problem is when the pitcher's parent does GC. I've seen first hand the pitcher's dad assign errors for everything/anything to protect his DD's ERA. I've read here that no one takes CG stats seriously but they are where I get DD's post-season stats for her player profile. Once the girls started 14U I complained after the 3-4th ball thrown over my DD's head at 1st was accounted for as her error, other parents raised an eye but he found other players to put his errors on after that.

Jun 8, 2016
My biggest problem is when the pitcher's parent does GC. I've seen first hand the pitcher's dad assign errors for everything/anything to protect his DD's ERA. I've read here that no one takes CG stats seriously but they are where I get DD's post-season stats for her player profile. Once the girls started 14U I complained after the 3-4th ball thrown over my DD's head at 1st was accounted for as her error, other parents raised an eye but he found other players to put his errors on after that.
How is giving an error to the wrong person protecting his kid’s ERA? An error is an error..😉

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
??? So you are knowingly using GameChanger stats that are highly irregular for your daughter's softball profile???
➡️Guess what the college coaches already know those stats are highly irregular.

Probably the only notable things that would be accurate would be home runs or strikeouts and walks.
HR's could even be questionable because of not knowing if there's a fence.

As for defensive errors that is also questionable because of who is applying the game changer.
This is why people are so encouraged to get in front of college coaches to showcase and going to college specific camps. Let the coaches see for themselves.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Possibly Game Changer information that may be helpful would be to follow a team to see what other teams they have played.
That could include not only the team they played but who was coaching it. Example- getting two hits against Mercado's team Mercado Athletics. Or got two hits against Mike Styths BatBuster team.

There could be relevancy in knowing who the other teams were coached by.
Because that could show they were facing top competition.

Oct 10, 2018
??? So you are knowingly using GameChanger stats that are highly irregular for your daughter's softball profile???
Guess what the college coaches already know those stats are highly irregular.
Probably the only notable things that would be accurate would be home runs or strikeouts and walks.

HR's could even be questionable because of not knowing if there's a fence.

As for defensive errors that is also questionable because of who is applying the game changer.
This is why people are so encouraged to get in front of college coaches to showcase and going to college specific camps. Let the coaches see for themselves.

She is going to college camps of the schools she's interested in to get to show her stuff to the coaches personally, but where does one get their stats for the profile sheet if not GC? Coaches keep a book but so far she hasn't been on a team where the coach distributes the numbers after the season - except HS and he only kept/distributed offensive stats. She's on a new, better team this year focused on recruiting, so maybe after the season this summer we'll get the coach's stats.

Oct 10, 2018
How is giving an error to the wrong person protecting his kid’s ERA? An error is an error..😉
I should say giving errors freely when something is not playable - like a really hard hit ground ball in a gap, etc. But in any case the error should be assigned to the right player. He assigned 5-6 errors on my DD for poor throws to 1st the first year, the next year the same nonsense and I complained to him. He found the right (and other) players to assign his many, many errors on after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles