High school stats question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
want to say i had to go into GC as admin on a computer versus phone, to do it. Again, been a few years and not in new GameChanger.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Six pages in and "small sample size" never came up. Weird.

I love stats. I compile them and track school records and all that. But the sample sizes are much too small -- and the quality of competition much too varied -- to actually use them in any meaningful way.

Since lineup construction doesn't really matter a lot, I don't put a ton of thought into it. When I do put thought into it, I think about non-stat things: Does this girl really, really hate batting leadoff? Did I accidentally put the slowest girl in front of the fastest girl?

I will move players up or down. Sometimes I'm just trying something different. Sometimes I can see a good hitter putting too much pressure on herself. Sometimes I think adding a bit of pressure might help a hitter (try putting someone different at leadoff for a game or two...never know what could happen).

But mostly, I put my best hitters near the top and the not-so-good hitters near the bottom, and ideally I can be fairly consistent each game. I don't really worry about "turning the lineup over." It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The lineup will turn over once everybody bats. Having a good hitter in the 9 spot just means over the course of the season she's going to bat fewer times than lesser hitters. Why would I want that?

And I pay very little attention to strikeouts unless a hitter is striking out because of some particular hitting flaw. I can only think of one or two of my starters whose strikeouts I even think about right now. I couldn't even tell you who strikes out the most or least after them.

May 1, 2018
You said she is the 4th best at this and second best at something else........ where do you think she should hit. I think you said she bats 5 hole.... not much room for growth.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
i don't disagree, but looking at stats from my 18u fall games, 32 games played, we have 54 ROE. maybe score keeper too tough, maybe not, lots of variables.

But it still can be a real number. LOL
Are errors in fastpitch the same as errors in MLB? If a player hits a rocket short hop to the 3rd baseman's backhand side and it goes off the heel of her glove, is that a base hit? Is it a double if she ends up on 2nd base? Do we apply the "a good 3rd baseman would have gotten that one so it's an error?"
ROE at 18U level usually means they hit the ball very hard. 54 ROE in 32 games is awfully high. Tell your score keeper to lighten up! LOL
ROE is a stat killer.

Jun 20, 2015
Are errors in fastpitch the same as errors in MLB? If a player hits a rocket short hop to the 3rd baseman's backhand side and it goes off the heel of her glove, is that a base hit? Is it a double if she ends up on 2nd base? Do we apply the "a good 3rd baseman would have gotten that one so it's an error?"
ROE at 18U level usually means they hit the ball very hard. 54 ROE in 32 games is awfully high. Tell your score keeper to lighten up! LOL
ROE is a stat killer.

Well, i know some have been a combo type error. hard hit ball, knocked down and then throwing error. and there have been several with fielder trying to get lead runner at 2B and no out recorded due to hard slide, can't catch, poor throw etc.

standard we have GC operator use is 'ordinary effort'. Honestly, team batting avg is already .392 thru the fall, doesn't hurt anyone too much to be tough on the H vs E area.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
You said she is the 4th best at this and second best at something else........ where do you think she should hit. I think you said she bats 5 hole.... not much room for growth.
I really don't care - I was happy she was playing. She does bat lead-off on her TB team so they do recognize that she gets on a lot. I was just surprised it was such a shock to him that she had only struck out once. (She struck out once in the fall season of TB against a good pitcher - she saw that pitcher the next day and hit a double off her - she was so happy.) With the other girls on her HS team I don't think she should be batting super high since I do know the other girls are better hitters than her.

But if others say they don't notice really, I guess it's fine. I was curious what coaches do look at when deciding line-ups, etc :) Since for some girls it didn't make sense.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Well, i know some have been a combo type error. hard hit ball, knocked down and then throwing error. and there have been several with fielder trying to get lead runner at 2B and no out recorded due to hard slide, can't catch, poor throw etc.

standard we have GC operator use is 'ordinary effort'. Honestly, team batting avg is already .392 thru the fall, doesn't hurt anyone too much to be tough on the H vs E area.
As a parent doing scoring - it's especially hard. I'm super hard on my kid so it doesn't seem like I'm biased. On hitting and defense.

Jun 8, 2016
I really don't care - I was happy she was playing. She does bat lead-off on her TB team so they do recognize that she gets on a lot. I was just surprised it was such a shock to him that she had only struck out once. (She struck out once in the fall season of TB against a good pitcher - she saw that pitcher the next day and hit a double off her - she was so happy.) With the other girls on her HS team I don't think she should be batting super high since I do know the other girls are better hitters than her.

But if others say they don't notice really, I guess it's fine. I was curious what coaches do look at when deciding line-ups, etc :) Since for some girls it didn't make sense.
K’s are kind of like officials in sports..you probably only notice them when they are really bad (eg a lot of K’s) 😂

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
K’s are kind of like officials in sports..you probably only notice them when they are really bad (eg a lot of K’s) 😂
I will say - as scorekeeper since I know who does strike out a lot: when you just need the batter to move the runner and they tend to either swing for the fences or strike out - it's frustrating as hell when they strike out. IMO, putting the ball in the play is the one thing you should be thinking of with 2 strikes or at least fouling it off until you get something you can hit. Runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs - you need to get the ball in play somewhere. But ideally not to the 3rd basemen ;)

Also on the ump issue - I'm a Braves fan - during the WS I definitely noticed them ;) Strike zone was all over the place :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00