High school stats question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD was tied for 2nd in BAA - her OPS was lower because while she got on she didn't have a lot of XBH. Which was one thing the HC wanted her to work on. But the people above her were our better hitters so that all made sense. Her OBP was 4th but she actually didn't get walked as much as she usually does - I had talked in another post about how her avg PS/PA was the lowest on the team ~3.

This paints the picture of a player who is swinging and making contact with (probably) the first pitch she sees that she think she can hit, but isn't hitting the ball very hard very often. There could possibly be a lack of confidence in being willing to take a strike in order to wait for a pitch in a spot she can hit hard. If she's a good base-runner, I might consider a player like this for the #2 spot, but that would depend a LOT on my other options. More likely, she would be #6 or #9 spot to turn over the lineup.

May 17, 2012
Are you really shuffling your lineup on a game-by-game basis based on one stat?

By that approach, if the #3 batter smashes a line drive that the CF just manages to grab, and hits a sac fly to RF that plates the game-winning run, her OBP is .000 for that game. Next game she gets bumped down the lineup. Ridiculous.

Well the overall OBP for the season sets the initial lineup and yes batters rise and fall throughout the weekend. Those that are hitting well move up and those that aren't having a good weekend move down. It works itself out in the end and the cumulative carries over to the next tournament.

I wouldn't make out the lineup much different using my super coach crystal ball from 1989.

You are what your OBP says you are.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Well the overall OBP for the season sets the initial lineup and yes batters rise and fall throughout the weekend. Those that are hitting well move up and those that aren't having a good weekend move down. It works itself out in the end and the cumulative carries over to the next tournament.

I wouldn't make out the lineup much different using my super coach crystal ball from 1989.

OBP paints a tiny part of the picture of who a hitter is.

Jun 8, 2016

That certainly makes it easier to fill out the lineup card..

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.

OPS is a much, much better indicator of performance than OBP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
That certainly makes it easier to fill out the lineup card..

We also roll our lineup in pool play sometimes to equal out the AB's (and it's pool play so who cares).

People OBP in groups 2-3, 1-2, etc. so there isn't wild movement in the lineup from game to game. If everybody hits or doesn't hit then there isn't much movement. The girls love it because it's merit based.

The scorekeeper feels some heat occasionally. ;)

Mar 4, 2015
New England
We also roll our lineup in pool play sometimes to equal out the AB's (and it's pool play so who cares).

People OBP in groups 2-3, 1-2, etc. so there isn't wild movement in the lineup from game to game. If everybody hits or doesn't hit then there isn't much movement. The girls love it because it's merit based.

The scorekeeper feels some heat occasionally. ;)

From a competitive standpoint, I agree w/ all the criticisms being leveled, including the value of OBA vs. OPS. I wouldn't do this for a school team because I think it could cost you games, and I think the coach is obliged to give his team the best chance in school ball.

However, I'm moved by what you say about 'the girls love it.' If the girls love it, and it's a developmental travel team, then why not? As you say, you're evening out the at-bats in pool play, which gives players opportunities to develop and to move up the ladder. I've often thought that coaches don't look at the game through their players' eyes enough. Maybe this is a good example of seeing it from their perspective.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Somewhat amateur-ish on the analytics here; if you want to measure contribution to your offense is there/ should there be a stat that rolls in base stealing/smart base running? Kind of like a Bases per AB or per PA? I would think runs scored relies too much on the batters behind, or maybe this would too.

Jun 8, 2016
Somewhat amateur-ish on the analytics here; if you want to measure contribution to your offense is there/ should there be a stat that rolls in base stealing/smart base running? Kind of like a Bases per AB or per PA? I would think runs scored relies too much on the batters behind, or maybe this would too.
That is what OPS is for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55